First Fins for Bahama Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surprised how much variety of opinions there are. I used to run track, doesn't matter at all who says they are faster or why or how - everyone lines up, gun goes off, one guy finishes first - no debate. I'd think fins are the same, any 2 divers of similar speed and foot size would swap fins, and see who is faster - no debate. Now maybe 2 people have very different styles, and can be good at frog, flutter, or dolphin kicks and bad at another, but I'd still assume a general consensus would emerge.

Take split fins for example. Some people say each kick does almost the same thing for far less energy, and you can frog kick equally well. Others say split fins are a gimmick with a marginal advantage for people with neither strength nor technique. Split fins have been around over a decade, you'd think they'd go away or everyone would be using them.

Similarly, some people prefer very flexible fins while others prefer very stiff ones.

I am not of the opinion we are all unique or have personal preference. We are not eating scuba fins and prefer the taste of one to another. I do believe weight and cost have legitimate trade offs, some fins might work better in some environments (e.g. dry suit vs tropical) and individuals different by knowledge of technique and strength and endurance. But generally, your anatomy is the same as mine and almost every other diver, and if we learn proper techniques, our techniques should not vary much.

From what I have experienced it is not about speed but efficiency. Rec diving is very slow. It is nice to have power when needed. Are you planning to carry-on only? < some are pretty long. Warm water only? Much shore diving? Are you doing any shark dives in the Bahamas? I read somewhere they suggest no exposed ankles because your skin could look like fish.

Something inexpensive that will do the job and fit in a carry on, with a little bending is the Mare Super Channel in FF, you can use lycra socks to cover your exposed skin.

You should go in store and put a few on and see what’s most comfortable for you. Different open heel fins and boot combinations fit very differently. Even just boots themselves.

+1.

You can tie a brick to your hand and punch air, and grow yourself some very strong muscles, and punch air much harder then the guy next to you. Until you hit something hard and shatter your wrist. So, forget stronger legs, bigger fins, and all that: get the ones that fit. For one thing you get less chance of cramping up mid-dive.

You might check out the Deep 6 Eddy fins. They are my go-to warm water travel fins. Light, short and stiff.
I second this. I use these and absolutely love them and having them in bright orange makes it extremely easy for people you're with to know where you're at. I've used mine in the Bahamas, in the Caymans, and in colder water in California and have been happy with them every where.

Surprised how much variety of opinions there are. I used to run track, doesn't matter at all who says they are faster or why or how - everyone lines up, gun goes off, one guy finishes first - no debate. I'd think fins are the same, any 2 divers of similar speed and foot size would swap fins, and see who is faster - no debate. Now maybe 2 people have very different styles, and can be good at frog, flutter, or dolphin kicks and bad at another, but I'd still assume a general consensus would emerge.

Take split fins for example. Some people say each kick does almost the same thing for far less energy, and you can frog kick equally well. Others say split fins are a gimmick with a marginal advantage for people with neither strength nor technique. Split fins have been around over a decade, you'd think they'd go away or everyone would be using them.

Similarly, some people prefer very flexible fins while others prefer very stiff ones.

I am not of the opinion we are all unique or have personal preference. We are not eating scuba fins and prefer the taste of one to another. I do believe weight and cost have legitimate trade offs, some fins might work better in some environments (e.g. dry suit vs tropical) and individuals different by knowledge of technique and strength and endurance. But generally, your anatomy is the same as mine and almost every other diver, and if we learn proper techniques, our techniques should not vary much.

You have lots of opinions on the subject for somebody who started out by stating they are inexperienced divers and didn't think they needed fins. If you are who you say you are, it will be much better if you listen and comprehend what is said instead of giving out advice and opinion on something you admitted and indicated you know nothing about.

From what I have experienced it is not about speed but efficiency. Rec diving is very slow. It is nice to have power when needed. Are you planning to carry-on only? < some are pretty long. Warm water only? Much shore diving? Are you doing any shark dives in the Bahamas? I read somewhere they suggest no exposed ankles because your skin could look like fish.

Something inexpensive that will do the job and fit in a carry on, with a little bending is the Mare Super Channel in FF, you can use lycra socks to cover your exposed skin.

Power and speed are probably not necessary. Efficiency is probably more important, especially if air is limited.

I plan on checking luggage.

All dives are off the boat. We will see reef and walls but not step on them.

Lots of sharks, I will have to watch my ankles.

+1.

You can tie a brick to your hand and punch air, and grow yourself some very strong muscles, and punch air much harder then the guy next to you. Until you hit something hard and shatter your wrist. So, forget stronger legs, bigger fins, and all that: get the ones that fit. For one thing you get less chance of cramping up mid-dive.

I know a lot more about punching than diving. Tying bricks to your hand is a very bad idea for a number of reasons. Breaking bricks with your hand is better, but not for a beginner, and gets expensive. Not sure how this relates to diving, except tying bricks to your hand is probably bad for diving too.

You have lots of opinions on the subject for somebody who started out by stating they are inexperienced divers and didn't think they needed fins. If you are who you say you are, it will be much better if you listen and comprehend what is said instead of giving out advice and opinion on smothering you admitted and indicated you know nothing about.

Who do you think I really am?

I haven't given any advice, except on how to punch.

I am not sure how you can say I think I don't need fins if you read anything I posted.

Who do you think I really am?

I haven't given any advice, except on how to punch.

I am not sure how you can say I think I don't need fins if you read anything I posted.

I can see how your post could have been read as both "help me understand why there are so many options/difference and what could be different between them" and how it could have been read as "people buy the wrong stuff all the time instead of thing right choice which there's obviously only one of". I suspect you meant the former and it was interpreted as the latter.

I can see how your post could have been read as both "help me understand why there are so many options/difference and what could be different between them" and how it could have been read as "people buy the wrong stuff all the time instead of thing right choice which there's obviously only one of". I suspect you meant the former and it was interpreted as the latter.

I am confused why it seems there are so many choices instead of an apparent consensus. It should be obvious, but my confusion is a lack of knowledge on my part. I never meant to imply the entire diving community has been doing something wrong or doesn't know what they are doing.

I also want to point out that a lack of apparent lack of consensus is not always a lack of consensus. This might make some people mad, and I don't want to get political, but reading the Internet, one could believe there is serious scientific debate on whether global warming and evolution are real, whether vaccines work and are safe, etc. But there is a consensus. That doesn't mean everyone agrees or no one who disagrees has good arguments, only that it isn't half the experts on one side and half on the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom