first F1 dive tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well after choosing fins originally, on how easily I could walk around my LDS in them. I decided to go get a pair of "big boy" fins
I got my pair of Hollis F1 yesterday. I decided on the straight black color, as I am doing some customizing to them with a couple colors paint. It is kind of a thing with us newer divers at our LDS, we are using a product called Scuba Goop to personalize our fins. 90 % of the divers use Jet Fins, so it helps distinguish and just caught on as a form of expression.

So I am anxious to try these out, although there wont be much call for them, as I am doing a river drift. But it will give me a great opp to work on my frog kick.

My initial thoughts about these fins, are they are huge, but the spring straps are fantastic, and I was putting them on and off last night in seconds with no struggle dry.

I will be back Sat sometime to post an after dive perspective.

I have a feeling you will love them. I have been diving them since Jan of 2008 when I got my hands on a set of the prototypes as one of the original consumer testers. I still have em. They never found their way back to Hollis. Thanks for that Nick. And then when the yellow tips came out I was offered a set of those prototypes to try and review. Just in the regular size instead of the XL's so they worked better with thinner boots and my drysuit. Those are going with me this weekend.

I will give you one word of advice since you are just starting out with them. They are powerful fins and move a lot of water. Don't try to power them too much. You won't need to. If you do, at least until you get used to them, they may tire your legs more than you think. So take it easy and build up to them. They are very easy on the knees and ankles as long as you don't try to force them to move lots of water. Just go easy and let them work. They will. And they are just a hair negative in freshwater so they will help with that little bit of floaty feet thing some people have.

I went from Turtles to F1s this season. Each has its benefit, but I do like my F1s very much. As Jim said, it takes very little to have them move you. While in a training class last weekend, we were tortured with a significant surface swim. I just kind of got in a zone, and cruised along. Usually, that distance/time would almost guarantee me leg cramps.... they never appeared... I think the F1s are a significant factor in this.

The only "negative" is that they are significant in size. I somewhat doubt they would be handy/convenient on air travel trips.

I have a feeling you will love them. I have been diving them since Jan of 2008 when I got my hands on a set of the prototypes as one of the original consumer testers. I still have em. They never found their way back to Hollis. Thanks for that Nick. And then when the yellow tips came out I was offered a set of those prototypes to try and review. Just in the regular size instead of the XL's so they worked better with thinner boots and my drysuit. Those are going with me this weekend.

I will give you one word of advice since you are just starting out with them. They are powerful fins and move a lot of water. Don't try to power them too much. You won't need to. If you do, at least until you get used to them, they may tire your legs more than you think. So take it easy and build up to them. They are very easy on the knees and ankles as long as you don't try to force them to move lots of water. Just go easy and let them work. They will. And they are just a hair negative in freshwater so they will help with that little bit of floaty feet thing some people have.

Hey Jim, well you kind of sold me on them, when we were in the pool. They are much larger and stronger than my current MARES fins. BUt I will take your advice tomorrow. Just a quarry dive, so no current to fight, I can play with my frog and trim

I went from Turtles to F1s this season. Each has its benefit, but I do like my F1s very much. As Jim said, it takes very little to have them move you. While in a training class last weekend, we were tortured with a significant surface swim. I just kind of got in a zone, and cruised along. Usually, that distance/time would almost guarantee me leg cramps.... they never appeared... I think the F1s are a significant factor in this.

The only "negative" is that they are significant in size. I somewhat doubt they would be handy/convenient on air travel trips.

Yeah Bob, That is the only downfall would be getting them down south. My next trip will be cave courses in Fla in Feb, so I will drive there. but any flying would be tough me thinks.

what course are you taking now, did you not just finish one in Windmill

Lots of Jets round these parts... I have dove them, and It was a great change to what i was used to. I decided on the F1 after meeting Jim and reading nothing but good things

Wow what a difference over my positively buoyant Mares fins. I held trim for the entire dive and frog kicked the entire time.. These fins are so easy to get on and off, normally it is a bit of a struggle to don and remove my fins in the water. Not these.

Great purchase, I am so happy I pulled the trigger on these

Totally agree Dr Dog. I originally got mine because the foot pocket was the only one I could find that would fit my dry suit boots. Wow am I glad that was the case. They simply kill my previous Twin Jets. Love these fins!

Back
Top Bottom