First Drysuit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have said it a couple of times before...
Canadians know how to make drysuit, look locally. I would add Whites to you list (now aqualung)

Thanks for the additional feedback. We are going to Bare next week where we can see their full lineup.

Lots of options out there, especially when you start considering undergarments as well.

Does anybody have any opinion on Weezle undergarments? Is there any place in Canada or the US that you can buy them or do they have to be ordered from the UK?

Thanks.

People who dive weezles say they are warm but buoyant. I had one student tell me on his particular weezle he had gone to wearing an arm band under the spot for the dump valve because the material seemed to get sucked up around it and make dumping problematic.
I just switched to 4th element undergarments myself and am kicking my own butt for not doing it sooner. Warm without lots of bulk. So far 7 dives in 50 degree water with just UnderArmour cold gear compression for a wicking layer. Yesterday when I was putting my glove on I did not realize that I shoved the seal up enough to go over the thumb loop on the Arctic Top. My right forearm got wet over the hour long dive but I didn't notice it was wet because it stayed warm! Just slightly cooler than the left forearm. So slight that it never occurred to me it was leaking just put it down as one of those things.

The bare SB base layer is nice. I have 2 sets. The Bare SB mid layer is very warm, stretchy but bulky. I spent a 3 hour dive in a 70 degree water in a flooded dry suit and didn't figure out it had flooded until I was walking out of the water, was just a bit chilly. But I can't perform a valve drill in them. If you get the SB mid layer ensure you are measured in them. And I will stress once again that it's worth paying more and being inconvienved to get someone who knows how to measure you for the drysuit you are buying. Trilam suits do not stretch, if it's a little too small it can have drastic effects on your range of motion.

People who dive weezles say they are warm but buoyant. I had one student tell me on his particular weezle he had gone to wearing an arm band under the spot for the dump valve because the material seemed to get sucked up around it and make dumping problematic.

Thanks. I didn't know about that. I did some reading on it and it does seem to be an issue. I have seen a Weezle suit and I can see how that could be a problem given how light and fluffy they feel.

The bare SB base layer is nice. I have 2 sets. The Bare SB mid layer is very warm, stretchy but bulky. I spent a 3 hour dive in a 70 degree water in a flooded dry suit and didn't figure out it had flooded until I was walking out of the water, was just a bit chilly. But I can't perform a valve drill in them. If you get the SB mid layer ensure you are measured in them. And I will stress once again that it's worth paying more and being inconvienved to get someone who knows how to measure you for the drysuit you are buying. Trilam suits do not stretch, if it's a little too small it can have drastic effects on your range of motion.

What's the coldest water you have been in with the SB mid layer? We need something that will be warm in water down to the high 40s. It is difficult to decide on undergarments because nobody stocks anything for you to look at. Also, manufacturers don't really give any indication as to what water temperatures they would be suitable for.

I've been in 62 degree with it. I dove colder water with a thinner layer because I had enough flexibility to get to valves.

What works for a given person may not work for another. I saw a girl in Hawaii diving in double 7mm and someone else on the same boat diving in cutoffs and a t-shirt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom