First Drysuit.. advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the important "feature" of a suit is that it should in no way restrict you from reaching your valves. to check this put your hand back (as far as you can) as to simulate valve manipulation, and then see what happens to the suit material under your armpits.. if it lays flat against your armpit, it's a good suit. if it doesn't, you will see the material fold (like a flying squirrel) and tug and create tension. The problem often refers to four-way seam point (though DUI suits do not have that problem). some suit manufacturers solve the problem by inserting diamond shape panel gaskets or similar. either way., try and look out for those things.

My suggestion, however is, to stop experimenting with your wallet and actually do things that has been proven to work, and and work right. Since you are in the DIR forum and asked the question about it,.. look at what top DIR guns wear and then stop and think why would they all choose that particular suit for their needs?

Jasonmh:
Hi all,
I have started shopping for a drysuit, and since I am new to DIR and new to drysuits, I need some help.
I was thinking of getting a USIA Aqua Pro Plus http://www.usia.com/consumer/?p=2
and I wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything about it that was anti-dir?
From what I understand it is a shell suit, self-donning (with zipper in front), with a left shoulder exhaust.
Are there other things that I should be looking for that would or would not make this dir-compatible?
Is the exhaust on the left shoulder the preferred placement?
They also offer the choice of latex or neoprene seals, is there any reason to pick one over the other?
Thanks for any advice. I can only afford to buy one suit, and I want to make sure that I don't get one that turns out to be non-dir for some reason.
Thanks.

And here I thought the most important feature of the drysuit was to keep one dry :)

VTernovski:
the important "feature" of a suit is that it should in no way restrict you from reaching your valves.

Dan Gibson:
And here I thought the most important feature of the drysuit was to keep one dry :)
I wish someone would tell that to my drysuit.

Kim:
but I fully expect a DIR Mod to do some editing in here very soon
Theres one of those...holy cat fish batman.

Kim:
In spite of what many think, DIR divers can be friendly and helpful - especially many of those we have around here. (Where's JeffG when you need him!)
I think you have me confused with someone else :D

Kim:
Yes....I think they all use black keyboards.
Yea, but if they were really DIR, there would be at least two of them online at the same time.

Dan Gibson:
If that were the case, then DUI wouldn't be the preferred suit.

We have a term for leaking drysuits around here ... "DUI disease" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dry Until Immersed? :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
If that were the case, then DUI wouldn't be the preferred suit.

We have a term for leaking drysuits around here ... "DUI disease" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dan Gibson:
Often I feel that the very term "drysuit" is more of a concept than a reality.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom