First Drysuit.. advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the original poster... sounds like you have the materials you need to make some informed decisions.

I haven't read the dress for success book yet, but I hear it's a keeper.

Regarding suits, Bob has given you some good advice among others. The DIR crowds I have known tend to favor Be TLS 350 owe to the good buoyancy characteristics of trilaminate. However, as you and others have observed, many companies after suits in trilam or close variants.

there are also a number of folks who like the compressed neoprene for it's durability in wrecks and harsh shore environments. I dive a TLS 350 that I bought used for $300 three years ago.

Dump valves generally go on the left shoulder, though mine is on the left forearm. I like that location, but DIR does not favor it. Some folks who use scooter a lot sometimes put the dumps on the right shoulder.

Front entry is nice, so you can take responsibility for your own zipper closure, and enjoy some level of independence in gearing up.

In DUI sizing I am in between a medium and large, so either fits me Ok especially since the torso adjusts with the telescoping feature. If your legs are shorter or longer than usual, stock sizes might riot be optimal.

If Custom sizing is cost prohibitive for someone, they should try on a few sizes of the suit they are considering to see which if any have a good fit.

I don't have any personal experience with USIA suits, but one of the executives posts sometimes in this forum and He seems to be a very knowledgeable and informative poster. I'd look him up to ask about their suits and sizing issues.

Best of luck...

Jim

Diver0001:
It's not black.... and the boots are built in.

Don't forget that DIR is rooted in a particular context. Is that context relevant to your diving?

R..
have to be black. What color is the drysuit JJ is wearing in his fundies book?

Another Question... When I was at the LDS talking about a DS, they told me that I would need ankle weights to use a drysuit. I guess I had assumed that if I had a good form-fitting suit, and my fins are relatively heavy (jetfins), that ankle weights would not be needed. Is using ankle weights common, or is it a case of adding a peice of gear to solve a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place?
To Bob, Jag, and others, thanks for the advice.
I got the Dress for Success book right when it came out, but probably didn't pay as much attention to the DS section as I should have since I had no plans to get one at the time. I'll go back and re-read that.
Thanks.

Jasonmh:
Another Question... When I was at the LDS talking about a DS, they told me that I would need ankle weights to use a drysuit. I guess I had assumed that if I had a good form-fitting suit, and my fins are relatively heavy (jetfins), that ankle weights would not be needed. Is using ankle weights common, or is it a case of adding a peice of gear to solve a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place?
You answered your question. You don't need ankle weights. Maybe you should consider not listening your LDS.

Jasonmh:
To Bob, Jag, and others, thanks for the advice.
I got the Dress for Success book right when it came out, but probably didn't pay as much attention to the DS section as I should have since I had no plans to get one at the time. I'll go back and re-read that.
Thanks.
I'm not a big fan of ankle weights ... they are mostly needed by people who use their drysuit for buoyancy control, rather than their wing. The DIR diver doesn't do things that way. Use your drysuit for warmth, not buoyancy control ... which means put only enough gas in your suit to loft the undergarment. That reduces the amount of air that will shift as you move, and reduce the "floaty feet" syndrome, which in most cases eliminates the "need" for ankle weights.

And for those few who still experience the symptom, due mostly to poor fitting boots, fin keepers are a better ... and less expensive ... solution.

The drysuit section of "Dress for Success" provides the best information I've seen available on this topic. It provides well-thought out answers to your questions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I believe as of yesterday, JJ claims he now only uses the left shoulder dump.

NWGratefulDiver:
Personally, I prefer left-shoulder placement for the dump valve ... I have no idea what the latest official DIR preference (i.e. what George has most recently decided he wants to use) might be ... I don't read the lists that define the "official" DIR take on those things.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

From the recent WKPP outing at Chip's Hole, it would appear only Casey is using the dump on the right shoulder. At least the pics seem to indicate this.

lamont:
Everyone I've asked in the PNW that dives with scooters, uses the left.

Posted to the Quest list 10/19/2005 by Jarrod Jablonski:

"Adding my two cents I would have to concur. I have tried all the suits and
still far prefer the TLS. The CF is very abrasion resistant but the very
slow drying time, the lack of flexibility, and the general weight of the
suit make it rather a hassle to use. Nothing beats the TLS for all around
comfort and utility."

Posted to the Quest list 11/2/2005 by Jarrod Jablonski:

"We toyed with the right shoulder so that it could be adjusted while riding a
scooter. Personally I found the nonstandard placement more trouble than it
was worth. This was particularly true as I had suits with both
configurations. I prefer to leave it on the left for uniformity."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/