First DRY dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got my eBay O'Neill 3 mm compressed drysuit yesterday. I had it in the pool at the Y today doing the drysuit course.

1. It did stay dry.

2. a cuff dump is great.

3. Getting out of an inversion is not too hard.

4. a 3 mm drysuit is really friggin hot in an indoor swimming pool. I was moist, but it was from sweat. I only had swim trunks on under the suit.

5. I need bigger fins for the suit because my feet cramped in my old fins, that barely fit the drysuit boots.

6. I now understand what squeeze feels like. The pool was only 7 feet deep.

7. Thank GOD I did not forget I was diving dry and pee!

8. Bouyancy control with the suit is harder than with a BOUYANCY COMPENSATOR.

DivingCRNA:
I got my eBay O'Neill 3 mm compressed drysuit yesterday. I had it in the pool at the Y today doing the drysuit course.

1. It did stay dry.

2. a cuff dump is great.

3. Getting out of an inversion is not too hard.

4. a 3 mm drysuit is really friggin hot in an indoor swimming pool. I was moist, but it was from sweat. I only had swim trunks on under the suit.

5. I need bigger fins for the suit because my feet cramped in my old fins, that barely fit the drysuit boots.

6. I now understand what squeeze feels like. The pool was only 7 feet deep.

Use your BC for bouyancy control, invest in a P-valve and life will be good.

Props on being a CRNA - if I ever go back to school that's what I'd go for.

DivingCRNA:

Let me second MASS-Diver's advice: use your BC for buoyancy. Add air to the suit to avoid sqeeze. It's SOOOO much easier to dive this way. Ignore anyone who tells you to use your dry suit for buoyancy.

You'll also find that its much easier to dial into neutral buoyancy the deeper you are.

Also, getting the right weighting is different from diving wet. In a wetsuit, you want just enough lead to sink from the surface and hold your safety stop with an empty BC.
If you weigh yourself the same way in a dry suit, you'll FREEZE at your stop. Find the weighting that keeps you at your stop with enough air in the suit to be comfortable, instead of shivering. For me, that means about 2-3 lbs overweighted.

As for the peeing thing, my first few dry dives were spent reciting to myself "don't pee in the dry suit, don't pee in the dry suit" :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving dry!

DivingCRNA:
I

That is a significant piece of retraining.

Use the BC for BC with just enough air in the suit for thermal performance. If you don't have a good undergarment try to get one. The better the garment the less air you will need to mess with

Congratulations on the new suit!

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom