First Diving Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where I dive temp rarely changes from 6-8 c thought at times in the inlet during heavy rains you can get 4 or 5 c water at the surface. Here honestly many people do their OW in drysuits. I didn't but right after my OW I went and got into drysuit and honestly I have never gone back because its nice being warm.

But if you have the coin and if they are out there whites are very good suits that give you room to move it but also gives a near custom cut. This achieved by the 2 layers of the suit. The first is an outer skin that pulls the 'inner drycore' (tri or bi laminate material) that is oversized tight around you body. This allows it to pretty easily conform to most people. Also the joys of a bi/trilam drysuit is being able to choose your undergarments depending on water terms. I know a few people who were showing theirs off in the tropics pretty much with a tshirt and shorts on underneath then come back here and its thick fleeces.

The other material is crushed/compressed neoprene and it gives some thermal insulation but also means that you have less control if you decide to head to warmer places. You might get to the point where suit is too hot. Also they are heavy I find compared to my fusion. Also they loose their ability to keep you warm just like a wetsuit as you go deeper so you have to adjust your undergarments for your diving. I hada neoprene for my first one and honestly eh I don't think I would get another.

Also stay away from neoprene neck and wrist seals the damn things are annoying as hell to deal with and mine always leaked.

@Johanan
My only worry about the sport is how well it would hold up in short diving here I have to climb over rocky beaches a lot and more often that not have tons of barnacles that would rip a sport skin to shreds hell the only hole i have in my skin is just above the knee where a barnacle made a nice little hole. If that wasa sports skin I think my knees would be just about toast by now.

My only worry about the sport is how well it would hold up in short diving here I have to climb over rocky beaches a lot and more often that not have tons of barnacles that would rip a sport skin to shreds hell the only hole i have in my skin is just above the knee where a barnacle made a nice little hole. If that wasa sports skin I think my knees would be just about toast by now.

If my memory serves, TSandM reports that she has used Whites Fusion Sport in cave daving where she often crawled over sharp rocks and wooden branches and never had a problem. The outer skin slides over the inner shell and prevents it from piercing or tearing. In addition to that, the Sport skin is inexpensive and can be easely exchanged if seriously torn. It isn't as pretty as the Bullet, though. Actually my only annoyance wiht Fusion is an indent on a sock's toe. I have observed similar indents in Whites demo videos. One should pay attention to that when buying a Fusion.

Hello,

I'm completing my CMAS* certification with a diving club and want to buy my first diving suit.
I don't want to break the bank, but neither do I want to buy something of low quality just to replace it in the near future.
Primarily I will be diving cold water here in Germany and Scandinavia, with luck once per year something warmer, so the choice would be either a thick wetsuit or to go semi- or dry.

Is a drysuit too much overkill for a newbie? Given the fit is equally good, which suits should I avoid and which one would you recommend.

Thanks!

I have got a good quotation with reasonable rates from here, I neither broke the bank nor got some low quality..:)

With the intertia going towards a drysuit I'll go along with that and repeat the advice to take the class BEFORE buying. The class usually includes a lot of information about suits in general. This is information you want when you are making a selection. Divers needing to buy several drysuits to get the fit right is not uncommon so try not to be one of those people.

A few divers are bringing their drysuit to warm water and yours may be able to do that. However, most still prefer the simplicity of a lightweight wetsuit in warm water. Such a suit can be added latter for small money. Most divers end up with a wardrobe.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom