First dive with Whites Fusion Sport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat.O

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just rented from Ocean Quest. Headed out to Cultas on Sunday, any suggestions to keep warm? It will be a shallow dive.

I was very close to buying one, there is a Bullet for a pretty decent price and I loved how the Sport fit in the shop.

Any comments about these suits? Any women divers out there have feedback about the fit? Where is a good place to look online to purchase one of these?

Happy long weekend all!

The Whites Fusion is a shell suit. That means that most of the warmth comes from the undergarment thickness (probably a Mark II that you're renting), as well as the air with which you fill the suit. I assume you've had drysuit experience, so I won't necessarily bore you with more information. If you don't have dry gloves and are using wet gloves, your hands may get as cold as they normally do with wet gloves. Either way, you shouldn't need to do anything extra to keep warm.

The Fusion is a great suit, in my opinion (if I was willing to spend the cash, I would have bought one). I love the front-entry system for convenience, it kept me pretty warm with decent mobility, and the bullet outer later protects the suit from outer damage. I've heard mostly great reviews from dive buddies.

Also, I'm male, by the way, and I used a L/XL with a Mark II undergarment. It was a little big, but the M was too small. With a shell suit, you don't necessarily need a perfect fit, and it's better to be slightly bigger rather than too small. My experience with the Whites Fusion is around 10 dives.

I've dived the Fusion with all three skins. The Sport is delightful -- light, flexible, easier to get into, and fast to dry. The Tech works, and gives you pockets. I did not like the Bullet skin, despite its beautiful red color, because it was heavy and removed a lot of the flexibility that makes the suit so nice.

As said, warmth is in the undergarments.

As far as fit goes, I think these suits are particularly nice for women, because we often don't fit very well in stock sizes for other suits, and the Fusion is so forgiving as far as fit goes. (For example, I wear a S/M, but I can dive perfectly comfortably in my husbands L/XL until the seals stretch out and don't fit me any more :) )

Hi Kat...I am a guy and I own the old version of Fusion Tech, ie the one without the pockets in the size L/XL (I am 5'8'' and 175 lbs). Before buying her drysuit my GF tried mine (different physiology and elected buying a compressed neoprene suit for warmth) and my son dove with it (tall/skinny) without any problem as well.

One of the main online scuba equipment retailers had a special not too long ago but I cannot seem to find it. The best deal I found so far (and it is a canadian diveshop based in Montreal that my GF and I have dealt with many times either in location and mail order) is CPAS. Here is the link to Fusion Sport:

Whites Package Fusion Sport - CPAS ACHAT EN LIGNE - CPAS BUY ONLINE

Their price is for the full package including suit, MK2 underwear and jacket, 3mm neoprene socks, rockboots, transport bag and inflator hose. I think order over 250.00 qualifies for free shipping and handling.

I'm a fan of the fusion. I have the sport skin, and after having read Lynn's post, I may keep it instead of upgrading to bullet or tech. I'm working on a pocket system that attaches to weight belt or waist belt.

If you like how it fits (both above and below), then you likely have a winner! The next biggest challenge is getting the right undergarment. That's typically very personal, but I think your local folks can help you better.

I also wanted to add that donning these suits can be pretty easy when you figure out how to do it. Dive Right In scuba has videos ( you can find them on youtube as well) for donning and doffing the suit.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Perhaps a different sort of opinion. I have the Fusion Bullet and I'm thoroughly unimpressed. It's heavy and bulky to travel with, dries slowly, vents poorly and in my opinion doesn't dive well enough to make up for all of that. I've been told by TSandM and others that the bullet skin can be the problem and that I ought to explore the tech skin - which I'm going to do when it arrives next week. Failing that, I'll be dumping my suit for a Santi or Bare trilam.

For reference, I've got a shade under 300 dives in the Bullet over the last 2.5 years. Mostly in New England, California and North Florida caves.

Perhaps a different sort of opinion. I have the Fusion Bullet and I'm thoroughly unimpressed. It's heavy and bulky to travel with, dries slowly, vents poorly and in my opinion doesn't dive well enough to make up for all of that. I've been told by TSandM and others that the bullet skin can be the problem and that I ought to explore the tech skin - which I'm going to do when it arrives next week. Failing that, I'll be dumping my suit for a Santi or Bare trilam.
@Math
For reference, I've got a shade under 300 dives in the Bullet over the last 2.5 years. Mostly in New England, California and North Florida caves.
I tried the bullet for a few dives (the rental Frank Whites in victoria uses) and to be honest I didn't care much for it the U vic scuba club rents out Techs and honestly they are what I use. Takes about a good day for the outside to dry. the only thing i liked about the Bullet was how tough it was. if I was into wreck penetrations or caving I "might" use it for that. The Tech is nice if your into shore diving as it gives extra protection where its needed (mainly the knee's for getting out).

@Kat
Honestly I love the suit. With SLT's I can tear a wrist/neck seal and replace them in a few min without having to cancel the dive. As for thermals I got a Thermal fusion in my package from Frank Whites here for an extra $100 and love it. I can stand around all day in the suit and don't get cold. Seeing as your over in Vanc Kat I would suggest hopping on the Ferry and heading down one of the dealers near by. Drysuits are a pretty big investment to get online. Dealer Finder Whites Diving - Whites Diving shows a bunch of dealers in your listed area. If memory servers me the price on the listed link is pretty much the going rate for the sport one at Frank Whites Dive Shop in Victoria where I got mine (tech skin). Which I would suggest if your going to be doing a bunch of shore diving.

I hope this helps a bit.

Yeah sort of felt the same way. Should have possibly tried another skin but didn't. Went with one of Matt's possible replacements.

You know, fdog was, I think, the first Fusion fan -- but read his report of the Bullet skin, and you'll realize why you don't like the suit with that skin on it.

The Tech skin is a compromise, but it works pretty well. Overnight with a fan on it or in a warm climate gets it dry enough to pack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom