first dive with BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BP/W needs careful adjustment to fit you. I adjusted mine based on an on-line article at home, then an instructor spent 20 minutes helping me adjust it. I ended up with tri-glides to prevent me from over-tightening it.

I'm late to this party, but I agree with those who say a BP/W is only "superior" because it is (or can be) inexpensive compared with a traditional BC with all kinds of bells and whistles, and because it's fairly indestructible. A metal plate lasts a lifetime--or more. Webbing can be replaced in minutes for little money. A wing can be repaired or replaced. On tropical trips, I use a small wing that folds up compactly in my baggage along with an identical spare. The plate, harness and two wings (one purchased used) probably cost what a traditional BC with all the bells and whistles might cost. But I'd gladly dive a traditional BC with a sensible amount of padding and neat features if someone wants to pay for it and have it ready for me at my destination. The weighting and stability benefits of a BP/W have always seemed secondary to me.

Agree with Zoid...the big difference for me in trim and ease in the water was going to a back inflate whether or not it was a bp/w. I dived a Stiletto for years and enjoyed it. Then my wife started diving and liked my rig, so poof, now I needed a new rig (a more than fair trade off :)). I got a soft plate with a small wing and a couple ditchable weight pockets I use for tropical diving 'cause it was cheap & light and I like to fiddle with stuff. I stole the saddle strap/crotch strap off the Stiletto (since the Stiletto had a cummerbund, wife didn't feel she needed it). I have a pocket I add for Bonaire/Curacao shore diving (leave nuttin' you love in the truck :wink:), otherwise I clip stuff off and keep it streamlined. If someone wants to buy me another Stiletto or something similar, I would go back. I might have to toss some stuff out of my bag to make flight weight, but I'm not evangelical about it. :)

If Outlaw was available at the time, and at around, say, Litehawk price, I may have well gone with that instead of a BP&W. I got a nice deal on the wing, plus el-cheapo aluminum plate, I think I ended up paying less than a hundred over a basic back-inflate's sale price -- modular design and ability to replace things later if I want are well worth that much to me. But I didn't expect an epiphany, nor did I lose any lead (but I did move it to the shoulder straps).

@KentB

Establish a relationship with a shop as a regular customer and you may very well get some discounts. That’s what’s happened in my case.
its a great idea for sure but shops are quite inconvenient for me with their open times, I probably haven't been to a dive shop in over a year. shy of grocery shopping i cant remember the last time i went into a store to buy something..... online ordering has made my life much easier for sure.
Yes. As in, a thousand bucks is three times more than three hundred no matter how many kids you don't have.
i think you missed my point completely. hobbies are funded by " disposable income" and if they're not.........well you have your priorities in life wrong. Persons A+B have the same income same mortgage same utilities same car payments...... person A is single person B is also supporting a stay at home mom/dad and 2 kids so he/she is supporting 4 people vs 1 person. Person B is going to look at spending $200-300 on a hobby different than person A will.
also comparing $400-$500 USD plus tax plus shipping plus credit card exchange rate plus possible import duties to $1100 CAD shipped with taxes in is not necessarily the big difference like your making it out to be. I don't buy anything used I cant physically see and hold, so unless its local the used market isn't something I look at.

either way Im hoping to get out tomorrow and will try it not so tight and report back.

Most rec divers cans spend thousands on vacations each year so an extra couple hundred on gear that will probably last 10 years for single tank diving is a drop in the bucket. Now professional divers, dive masters, and gonzo rec divers are most likely on a very tight budget so spending less for gear that is more configurable is the norm.

i think you missed my point completely. hobbies are funded by " disposable income" and if they're not.........well you have your priorities in life wrong.

"That's how they stay rich" is a stereotype for a reason.

For whatever reason you had a disconnect between your expectations and the actual oomph delivered by the product you bought: buyer's remorse, whatever. Happens to all of us. I was pointing out that higher price tags tend to amplify that.

Back
Top Bottom