First Dive in 20 Years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trevorsg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I recently introduced myself as a new diver. I'm AOW certified, but outside of classes I haven't made any dives. My father used to dive recreationally. He can't remember what his certification is (or which agency it's with), but from what he tells me it sounds similar to AOW. Now, he hasn't been diving in about 20 years, but since I recently got interested in the sport he is chomping at the bit to set up a dive trip with me. That would be awesome, for sure, but I'm worried that it has been too long since he has been diving. He's planning on taking a refresher course, but will that be enough?

Thanks!

I had a 20 year break from diving and I just took the entire OW course again. I was really glad that I did. A lot had changed, and there was a lot I forgot.

I doubt many instructors would be willing to do just Scuba Review after a 20 year break anyway. Have him redo OW and be on the safe side.

That's great that he's considering taking up diving again. I have a buddy who was in the same position who was also from up north in WA. I kept bugging him to get back in the water and dive with me, but he was persistent in the fact he was done diving for good at 55 yrs old.

Well he went on a cruise to Mexico and did discover scuba dive down there and low and behold, he changed his mind and signed up when he returned. He was so hooked that he got his kids and wife involved and they took the OW class together.

We talked about his re-certification process and what's changed in the past 20 yrs over dinners. He's a very proficient diver but he said the entire industry has changed in so many ways, from equipment configurations to safety procedures that he was very glad that he went through the entire class again. He kept talking about how things have changed so much and that there are procedures they never even learned that long ago. He was very glad that he did it. The rest of the family did fine and are also now OW certified, too.

He recently dug out his old original C-card which ended up being from NAUI. He's now technically certified OW for NAUI & PADI.

I'd certainly have him re-certify and go through OW again with an agency of your choice.

He can't remember what his certification is (or which agency it's with
Then there are probably a lot of other things he doesn't remember. I still remember my instructor's name from my certification in 1975. (Thanks, John Girani, great class!) I am usually a little skeptical of the need for refreshers and the like--I think a few easy dives is generally sufficient. But in your dad's case, after 20 years, he should probably take the whole introductory course again.

Last edited:
If he doesn't even remember what agency certified him he will (and it is a good thing) have to redo the course just to get a C card. It is generally required to get air, and most if not all boats and resorts will require one for fun:wink:

Thanks for the replies!

@N2DeepInAz I am only in Washington for the summer. When I'm done here, I'll be moving back down to warm Austin, TX (which, incidentally, is where my dad lives)! And cheers to your signature. It's a great quote.

@farsidefan1 He still has his cert card, but hasn't had to use it in 20 years!

I'll try to convince him to take a PADI OW course.

My husband got certified in 1967 and dove for about ten years. He then didn't dive for more than 20, until I got certified. He figured a lot of things had changed (and they had!) so he took the OW class with me. I don't think he regrets having done so.

There is a more basic problem. If he does not remember his certifying agentcy then he probably does not have his c-card. You need that c-card when diving all but your lds that knows you. If he knew the agentcy he could request a new one but....

Last edited:
He still has his cert card, but hasn't had to use it in 20 years!

There is a more bsic problem. If he does not remember his certifying agentcy then he probably does not have his c-card.
And then there's the even more basic neglected-to-read-the-whole-thread problem.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom