First Dive in 20 Years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add my two cents here even though it seems a bit redundant. I dove when I was younger but quit in 1983, and then took it up again in 2008, when I took the PADI OW class to get my wife certified.

As with riding a bike, the basic physical skills of diving came back to me quickly. But diving procedures have changed, and gear has changed, and the sport has changed. I had never heard of Nitrox, safety stops, back kicks, dive computers, technical diving, or liveaboards. I had never used an octopus, an SMB, a wetsuit, a BCD or ditchable weights. I had never used corrective lenses or low-volume masks, or dove blue water, or kelp, or a wreck, or been in water with less than 100-foot visibility.

There is also a whole new set of attitudes I had to learn, about safety, about buddy diving, and most notably about conservation and protection of the reefs, not just for themselves but for the benefit of the next diver who comes along.

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that I took the courses all over again. Not only were they educational and necessary, they were a hell of a lot of fun. And they were fun because diving instruction has also changed: it is no longer a US Navy Seal Team mentality of tough young Rambos, but a kinder gentler sort of thing that suits us senior citizens a little better.

Start from scratch. Get him back in OW. Since he has diving experience, he should move through the course with ease. He will also be surprised how much gear has changed and the emphisis on safety has increased. Plus, as stated, he needs a c-card.

Thanks for all the replies. I've successfully convinced him to retake the OW course. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom