First Dive Disaster!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am one of those unfortunates who has bad problems with any oral decongestant - sets my heart off to the races, screws up the rhythm too. This includes over-the-counter cold remedies as well as Sudafed and Actifed. I discovered the relationship when I was a teenager and confirmed it in formal tests under medical supervision in my twenties. Strangely, I can get away with nose spray without any ill effect.
Due to my own sensitivity to oral decongestants I preach caution to divers trying to clear things up that way.
Rick

What I should have made clear is that I haven't taken sudafed to relieve any serious congestion prior to diving.

I do have occassional MILD seasonal allergies, or a MILD reaction to perfumes, or heavy dust. You know that "thick head" feeling you get when traveling? Not congested at all, but the potential is there if something were to set you off? Am I explaining this adequately?

Well, if I'm feeling that way prior to a dive (remember - NOT Congested), I'll take a half-dose of a 4 - 6 hour sudafed. It's more for peace of mind than anything else. About half my dives I didn't take anything, and was fine with clearing, so I guess I don't really need it. Remember - I'm still new at this, and appreciate all the sensible advise I get on this board.

Thanks!
Scuba-sass :)

I've been known to take non drowsy 12hr. Sudefed once in a great while without any problems. I've also called a lot dives due to sinus problems. It's a judgement thing, I guess. If you can't clear, don't be afraid of calling a dive -- everyone does it :).

Mike

Dear Readers:

The inability to clear should never be an embarrassment. In my experience in laboratory dive experiments, it is common to use individuals who are either professional divers or very experienced amateurs. Even with these very experienced people , experiments must some times be terminated because of clearing problems.

If a professional diver can occasionally have an ear or sinus problem, a recreational diver should not find himself or herself embarrassed. ;-(

Dr Deco

WHY this diver couldn't clear is important. If it is an on going problem or just a seldom or one time thing.

If it is constant then I would see an ENT. But it doesn't sound like it. I have used Sudafed and dove without ill effects. It only lasts 12 hours and my dives tend to be a bit shorter than that.

I think this brings up the importance of good ear care. My wife- a phycian and former competitive swimmer- is a big, big, big, advocate of using ear drops after diving. Her recommendation-originaly from an ENT- is a 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% vinegar solution. A few drops in each ear, lay on the bed, affected ear pillow side down and out flows the days inner ear water intake!

Before I dove without using this magic therapy I usually had at least one equalization problem on a dive trip. Now I have none.

It's a story of courage..........heheh

Hi buff:

I'm glad your regimen works for you, but I think that your post needs some clarification. Unless you have a complete blockage of your ear canal from earwax and are washing that wax out or dissolving it with your drops, there isn't anything that you can put in the ear canal to help with equalization of the middle ear. The middle ear is separated from the ear canal by the (hopefully completely intact!) eardrum and is not affected by drops in the outer ear canal.

The air in the middle ear is equalized through the eustachian tubes which connects to the ear through the throat. Ear drops should never reach that eusatchian tube. If your ears equalize better when you use eardrops, it's just a coincidence or you're washing out earwax.

The eardrops you mention do seem to help people that are prone to "otitis externa"- inflammation of the outer ear canal, aka swimmers' ear. But they're not generally beneficial for equalizing.

HTH,

Bill

I've frequently used 12 hr Sudafed for both scuba and freediving without any problems. Clear sinuses (and good clearing technique) are particularly critical for the rapid descents when freediving.

Let's not ignore 12 hour Afrin, (sorry I don't know the generic name). While probably not a good choice for extended diving trips, it works very well for weekend diving with fewer systemic effects than Sudfed. I'm sure Bill or one of the physicians can fill in the medical details if anyone is interested.

Ralph

BillP,
I didn't recommend that divers shouldn't take Sudafed before a dive. My statement was that I have made a personal decision to not take mediation of any sort before a dive. Everyone has their own comfort level and mine is to abstain. If that is a knee jerk reaction, then so be it. :tree:Bob

Hey Ralph:

There are no less than 11 "Afrin" products. The active ingredient of interest in most (if not all) of them is oxymetazoline- found in many "12-hour" nasal sprays. Nasal sprays have a topical effect in the nasal cavity where they might help with sinus clearing, but there is some concern about whether they actually reach the eustachian tubes and help with ear clearing in most divers. As you imply, oxymetazoline does have a profound "rebound" effect in many people after it is used for a few days and can cause increased congestion when it wears off.

Hey Bob,

Get a glass of water, sit down, and cool off. Then read my posts again. I read what you said. I think you'll find that I specifically agreed with your advice, and I meant it to be clear that I was only having a problem with blanket condemnation statements like "Sudafed is a poor idea"- which you never said. I have no problem with what you posted. If what you're doing works for you, super! Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Bill

Originally posted by BillP

(sigh...)

Hey Uncle Pug:

Decongestants in diving are a tool.

Just my 2¢,

Bill

(sigh...)

Hey Bill:

I respect you're $.02 .... (really I do)
But as a personal approach (IMO)....
I eschew drugs of any kind & certainly do not consider them tools...
Especially for diving!

Remedies... ok maybe...
But not substitutes for proper technique and good judgement....
If you can't equalize with healthy ears/sinus.... learn how.... try different techniques...
If you can't equalize because of congestion.... get well and then dive...

I really don't like blanket recommendations to use medication
(which is what the original post seemed to me to contain)
Just my pet peeve....
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom