First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand new to forum and still a OW diver trainee. I’ve actively studying gear and accessories and from what I’ve learned dive computers are becoming almost a necessity.

I want to get a dive computer as one of my first pieces of equipment. I wear an iWatch daily. I use it’s activity features. I golf and like the golf gpa the watch provides.

Will it make sense to spend the $1500 for the MK2i to make it a complete package?

Is the air integration the way to go? I like it can monitor 2 tanks since my 10yo daughter will be going for her Jr OW along with me.

Am I crazy considering such an extreme purchase? (Question from the Queen)

Glad to be apart of this forum and appreciate all of the help in my new adventure.

Thanks

Holy crap, $1500 on a dive computer?

If you spend more than $510 + tax and shipping for a dive computer you are, nucking futs. And you can certainly spend less than that and still get a dive computer that will meet all of your needs for diving.

Air integration is a nice feature but honestly, its very much unnecessary. I understand that keeping an eye on your kid's air supply is a concern but that is focusing on one detail and missing the big picture. Running out of air doesn't just happen. If a diver runs out of air, there were already 2 or more poor decisions / mistakes that took place between the OOA diver and his buddy ahead of time. And those 2 or more poor decisions / mistakes can lead to other kinds of problems that air integration won't solve.

Here is what I would say - save a bunch of money on a dive computer and save that money for additional training that will help you and your son be better divers and a better buddy team. Open water training is very very basic. Spending the money to become more skilled divers (at an appropriate time) will be a better way to spend the money.

Hmmm… I’ve never seen anyone bring a cell phone on an actual dive… plenty of dive computers, but no phones…:wink:

Regardless, my point was in dispute of your claim that “Most people already own watches that are rated to 100m depth”.

I was on vacation and did some diving with a guide. She brought out her cell phone to video. I about crapped my wetsuit.

I’m just gonna say “ the thing”……just get a perdix or a teric if you’re willing to spend that much money.

Why?

Because they’re the best. Best customer service, best dive computer on the market. Get a used one at a discount. Get a non AI version perdix if you don’t use AI and save even more money and still have the best computer on the market.

Because they’re the best. Best customer service, best dive computer on the market. Get a used one at a discount. Get a non AI version perdix if you don’t use AI and save even more money and still have the best computer on the market.

What does a perdix give a new diver that he/she needs that a peregrine doesn't?

What does a perdix give a new diver that he/she needs that a peregrine doesn't?

Peregrine is perfectly fine, but the guy was talking about spending over a grand so might as well get a perdix. If he ever moves to tech he can just switch from rec to tech mode. If he’ll just be a rec diver then go for a peregrine.

Peregrine is perfectly fine, but the guy was talking about spending over a grand so might as well get a perdix. If he ever moves to tech he can just switch from rec to tech mode. If he’ll just be a rec diver then go for a peregrine.

First, I didn't see anywhere where the original poster made any reference to technical diving.

Second, I think you are talking about "starting with the end in mind" approach to purchasing gear. If so, then really we should be de-emphasizing air integration as for tech and cave diving, air integration is not a thing. Whereas mastery of basic skills such as ability to find your own spg to keep track of your gas and keeping track of your buddy's status is a much much more important thing.

First, I didn't see anywhere where the original poster made any reference to technical diving.

Second, I think you are talking about "starting with the end in mind" approach to purchasing gear. If so, then really we should be de-emphasizing air integration as for tech and cave diving, air integration is not a thing. Whereas mastery of basic skills such as ability to find your own spg to keep track of your gas and keeping track of your buddy's status is a much much more important thing.

You think AI isn’t a thing in tech diving??? 😂😂😂😂 good day sir.

You think AI isn’t a thing in tech diving??? 😂😂😂😂 good day sir.

Well, this is now outside of the topic the OP is asking about so I will take it to a different thread.

But I will say that I am trying to work out in my head how air integration helps you on a tech dive. Is the computer telling you how much gas you have in your doubles or is it telling you how much gas you have on your deco bottle? What if you have a stage and a deco bottle? What if you have two deco bottles? What if you have two deco bottles and a stage? Also, if you are going to have transmitters on deco/stage bottles, aren't those going to get beat to **** on the boat ride out to the dive site?

Anyway, maybe I will learn something today. For the topic of air integration suitability for tech / cave diving, please go here: Air integration for tech dives

But I will say that I am trying to work out in my head how air integration helps you on a tech dive. Is the computer telling you how much gas you have in your doubles or is it telling you how much gas you have on your deco bottle? What if you have a stage and a deco bottle? What if you have two deco bottles? What if you have two deco bottles and a stage?

My dive computer can handle up to 10 transmitters no problem. It tells me how much gas in the tank(s) each transmitter is connected to and how long the gas will last at the specific depth I am at and at the current gas consumption rate in addition to telling me when I need to make a gas/tank switch when changing depth (coming up and switching to a deco gas). It will also keep track of reserve and turn around pressures, etc. It doesn't scratch your balls for you however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom