First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hondo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Brand new to forum and still a OW diver trainee. I’ve actively studying gear and accessories and from what I’ve learned dive computers are becoming almost a necessity.

I want to get a dive computer as one of my first pieces of equipment. I wear an iWatch daily. I use it’s activity features. I golf and like the golf gpa the watch provides.

Will it make sense to spend the $1500 for the MK2i to make it a complete package?

Is the air integration the way to go? I like it can monitor 2 tanks since my 10yo daughter will be going for her Jr OW along with me.

Am I crazy considering such an extreme purchase? (Question from the Queen)

Glad to be apart of this forum and appreciate all of the help in my new adventure.

Thanks

Will it make sense to spend the $1500 for the MK2i to make it a complete package?

Is the air integration the way to go? I like it can monitor 2 tanks since my 10yo daughter will be going for her Jr OW along with me.

Thanks

Personally, as a general rule, for new divers I recommend a basic Nitrox computer. Simple straight forward and the money you save you can spend on going diving.
The more advanced computers do often have better displays, colour, brighter, and for some of us with failing eyesight easier to read.
Ultimately, it depends on your personal circumstances (budget).
I generally recommend against getting the more advanced technical computers.
1. They are expensive
2. There are generally features that if not fully understood can increase risk for new divers .
3. Best practice in the technical end of the market does change rapidly, what may be state of the art features today may well be redundant or not recommended when you reach that level of diving.

Air integrated (AI) is a personal choice. I have just bought my first AI computer, at least 30 years since I last owned one!. Modern wireless AI is a very nice feature, but you are paying for this.
Wireless AI transmitters have a very short range, this is intentional. The intention is that they don't interfere with your buddies AI computer.
It is extremely unlikely that an AI computer will allow you to monitor your daughters gas. It is far better for you to ask her her gas level, it teaches both of you good discipline. (It is also likely that you will drain a cylinder, and hers will barely drop!)

My rig is basic, and the computer is old--Oceanic Nitrox-capable "hockey puck", 20 years old. It does everything I need for basic non-technical dives. You can get one for 300-400 bucks. And yes, you'd need a separate pressure gauge. And separate compass.

You might try something like it as a start, and you' haven't spent that much if you decide to upgrade as you gain more dives.

Personally, as a general rule, for new divers I recommend a basic Nitrox computer. Simple straight forward and the money you save you can spend on going diving.
The more advanced computers do often have better displays, colour, brighter, and for some of us with failing eyesight easier to read.
Ultimately, it depends on your personal circumstances (budget).
I generally recommend against getting the more advanced technical computers.
1. They are expensive
2. There are generally features that if not fully understood can increase risk for new divers .
3. Best practice in the technical end of the market does change rapidly, what may be state of the art features today may well be redundant or not recommended when you reach that level of diving.

Air integrated (AI) is a personal choice. I have just bought my first AI computer, at least 30 years since I last owned one!. Modern wireless AI is a very nice feature, but you are paying for this.
Wireless AI transmitters have a very short range, this is intentional. The intention is that they don't interfere with your buddies AI computer.
It is extremely unlikely that an AI computer will allow you to monitor your daughters gas. It is far better for you to ask her her gas level, it teaches both of you good discipline. (It is also likely that you will drain a cylinder, and hers will barely drop!)

The garmin AI has very long range.

I want to get a dive computer as one of my first pieces of equipment. I wear an iWatch daily. I use it’s activity features. I golf and like the golf gpa the watch provides.

$1500 is a lot for a new diver to spend on a computer. Especially if you already have an iWatch. If planning on getting rid of the iWatch, then it makes some sense, but the MK2i is pretty expensive compared to others.
Based on my experience with 10 year old divers, this likely won’t be necessary. My now 13 and 16 year olds use far less air than me, so you’ll likely run out of gas way before they do.

I’m a big fan of AI. I’ve only ever used AI computers. I’m not a big fan of any of the proprietary tank pods (Garmin, Suunto, ScubaPro, etc.). They generally work fine, they just make it more difficult to switch brands, which is likely their intention. The other thing I don’t like about the Garmin transmitter is that it communicates to the computer in two different modes. One for out of the water, and another for underwater. That essentially means verifying operation pre-dive does not mean it will be functional during the dive.
Am I crazy considering such an extreme purchase? (Question from the Queen)
Well, it sounds like she seems to think so.

Don’t get me wrong, the Garmin is a great computer and everyday watch. It’s just a lot for a new diver, but you’ll be a diving family, so that probably means you are more likely to keep diving.

$1500 is a lot for a new diver to spend on a computer. Especially if you already have an iWatch. If planning on getting rid of the iWatch, then it makes some sense, but the MK2i is pretty expensive compared to others.

Based on my experience with 10 year old divers, this likely won’t be necessary. My now 13 and 16 year olds use far less air than me, so you’ll likely run out of gas way before they do.

I’m a big fan of AI. I’ve only ever used AI computers. I’m not a big fan of any of the proprietary tank pods (Garmin, Suunto, ScubaPro, etc.). They generally work fine, they just make it more difficult to switch brands, which is likely their intention. The other thing I don’t like about the Garmin transmitter is that it communicates to the computer in two different modes. One for out of the water, and another for underwater. That essentially means verifying operation pre-dive does not mean it will be functional during the dive.

Well, it sounds like she seems to think so.

Don’t get me wrong, the Garmin is a great computer and everyday watch. It’s just a lot for a new diver, but you’ll be a diving family, so that probably means you are more likely to keep diving.
I appreciate the reply. I do have a older iWatch I was planning on replacing. As far as the AI, I understand the luxury and it has a price. Being new and not realizing that she’ll use a lot less air wasn’t even a thought. So that kind of negates getting a second pod to monitor her air unless you thought it was necessary to watch for a large air loss, etc.

I plan on using the watch for golf and fitness so it seems it’s starting to check a lot more boxes.

My step-bro just bought a new boat in Tampa and he outfitted it with diving accessories. He’s on his way to dive master. So yea.. we’ll probably keep diving.

I guess this post was about helping me re-affirm what I always planned on doing… you guys just bumped me along.

Thanks and I’m sure to have more questions as I move along. Haha

I appreciate the reply. I do have a older iWatch I was planning on replacing. As far as the AI, I understand the luxury and it has a price. Being new and not realizing that she’ll use a lot less air wasn’t even a thought. So that kind of negates getting a second pod to monitor her air unless you thought it was necessary to watch for a large air loss, etc.
Yeah. I was really surprised. My 16 year old and I do volunteer working dives at a local aquarium, so not exactly just floating. On some hour plus long dives in about 20', I'll probably run through 2000-2500 PSI, depending on the task I'm doing. She might go through 1000 PSI.

When we are diving recreationally, I'll use a much larger tank. That way, our dive times will be more or less the same. My kids both now have AI wrist mounted computers. I could technically load their transmitter IDs and read their pressure in my computer, but I don't. I do, however, ask them to report pressure to me from time to time. This helps to get them in the habit of checking on their own.
My step-bro just bought a new boat in Tampa and he outfitted it with diving accessories. He’s on his way to dive master. So yea.. we’ll probably keep diving.
Nice. I do quite a bit of diving in Gulf around the Tampa Bay area myself. Lots of places to dive around here, though you do have to run for a bit as the slope is pretty shallow. But, it's actually a good spot for kids as there aren't any steep dropoffs, so you don't need to worry about the kids going too deep.

The first dive computer should be the one inside your noggin. Brain matter with tables and a bottom timer.

You can find cheap dive computers second hand or buy new cheap ones that will be sufficient for the shallow diving you will do.
They are not really a necessity at the OW level right away but are useful.

There is no such thing as entry level/shallow water diving dc unless you are talking dedicated decompression dive.
I have been using a basic nitrox computer bought 24 yrs ago and still using it for any non decompression dive including bounce dive to 60m.

The algorithm used is far interesting and controversial to some. Find out what the fuss is all about.
Read and understand what is written on the user manual FIRST.

The first dive computer should be the one inside your noggin. Brain matter with tables and a bottom timer.

You can find cheap dive computers second hand or buy new cheap ones that will be sufficient for the shallow diving you will do.
They are not really a necessity at the OW level right away but are useful.

Just because you apparently learned to dive that way in the dark ages doesn’t mean that’s still the case. Plus, from what I read here, a lot of dive boats require divers to have a computer. So they might as well have one they know how to use rather than just renting when they need one. 🙄🤦‍♀️

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom