First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, coming back to this thread since the AI for tech diving thread has had several days to have people weigh in...

I will amend my statement slightly. For tech diving, AI is far from a necessity. Some divers like it for backgas as it gives them the convenience of seeing how much they have left on their wrist while others (such as me) do not see any utility in having AI for backgas.

So far as I can see from the other thread, most people stick with SPGs on their deco/stage bottles.

All that is neither here nor there because this OP didn't make mention of tech diving.

For new divers, I would still not recommend the Teric. Its an expensive computer that gives the new diver very little additional utility over something like a peregrine.

Note: I missed your insights on tec diving and AI in that thread. Did you not reply in that thread or did I just not see your reply?

Yea I’d likely never put a transmitter on a stage or deco bottle. I was just saying that if the OP is willing to spend $1500 on a DC might as well get the best (perdix). So IF he every wanted to go tech he wouldn’t have to buy another DC. The peregrine is also a great option.

I think it’s mainly the teric that’s had problems.
That is correct, and mainly only the battery.

That is if GF are applicable and important for you, technical diving. But for the average recreational diver, or even the advanced recreational diver, it is irrelevant. You can start with the least expensive version of Ratio's computers and upgrade your license to the higher version, with more features, as your needs increase without having to buy a new dive computer and having to spend the money from day one like you do with other brands.
The specials that Ratio have on now are pretty darn good.

I needed a new computer because I'm doing night dives and my old Uwatec doesn't have a backlight. The ratio icolor deep was the best bang for the buck I could find.

The specials that Ratio have on now are pretty darn good.

I needed a new computer because I'm doing night dives and my old Uwatec doesn't have a backlight. The ratio icolor deep was the best bang for the buck I could find.

Yes, the specials they have on their iDive color and the iX3M PRO computers are unbelievably awesome.

I have had great luck with my Shearwater Teric. No issues at all. Very simple to use. If you know you will be active in diving a bit, might be the way to go. A friend as the Garmin Mk2i. He likes it, but says it is not bright enough for him and is somewhat complicated to learn/change the settings on it and/or get to the various displays (could be individual issues as opposed to issues with the unit).

Re-activating diver here, new to the board. Appreciate the wisdom in this thread.

My original computer was an Aqualung Monitor I. There have been so many advances in the intervening quarter century. AI is tempting, but $1000-1500+ for a DC is too much for me. I’d prefer to spend that elsewhere.

I read a bunch and talked with a lot of divers. And bought a Peregrine. Can’t wait to try it out.

My original computer was an Aqualung Monitor I. There have been so many advances in the intervening quarter century. AI is tempting, but $1000-1500+ for a DC is too much for me. I’d prefer to spend that elsewhere.

I read a bunch and talked with a lot of divers. And bought a Peregrine. Can’t wait to try it out.
Yeah, no doubt. AI is expensive. My first computer was actually an AI console style. When it was time to upgrade that one, trading it in netted me some significant savings on a hoseless AI computer, so that softened the blow considerably.

You made a good choice with the Peregrine. You'll love it. After diving in salt, run under the tap and soak in warmish fresh water to keep the buttons from getting crusty.

Re-activating diver here, new to the board. Appreciate the wisdom in this thread.

My 12 year old Suunto Vyper just broke and I am now using an Oceanic depth gauge (analog, Bourdon tube) and an Apeks 500m dive watch (time and date only). This setup works great together with tables on my 60...90 feet air/nitrox dives to planned depths and also on deeper pre-planned trimix dives. It is NOT optimal for liveaboards or deep exploration with unknown depths and sawtooth profiles, though.

Sure, a dive computer is easier to use, and those expensive large-LCD tech computers are LOVELY to watch. Recording the profile, showing average depth and temperature are great features, too.

Air integration sounds great, but we already have pretty reliable submersible pressure gauges. And we know our surface air consumption or bar/psi per minute rate.

ps. Users of AI computers may have some points, that I am not aware of.

Back
Top Bottom