First dive computer for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Starting to put together my gear bit by bit and the next purchase is more than likely a computer. Have had a look at the new computer sticky and still no nearer deciding. Looking for some real world opinions

Requirements:
Easy to operate with 5mm gloves (will do most diving in the UK)
Nitrox (not qualified but planning to be in the future)
Rec diving only - no plans at all for tech in the future
No need for AI atm
Relatively inexpensive - can afford £200-250 (maybe slightly more if I [-]speak nicely[/-] grovel to SWMBO)
Reasonably liberal algorithm for multiple dives (although atm I am breathing through my air quicker than the NDL I expect it to improve over time/dives)
Wrist mounted

oh your exchange rate hurts this so bad right now. Try to find a used Dive Rite Nitek Duo on ebay. should be around 100gbp or so, best you can do for now. Only other computer I would recommend is the Shearwater Petrel but that is 2x your budget. Nothing else is really worth looking at for your situation on the new side, so used is best.

Reasonably liberal algorithm for multiple dives (although atm I am breathing through my air quicker than the NDL I expect it to improve over time/dives)
Both Cressi and Suunto are considered conservative, so fail on this one. Otherwise Leonardo fits the bill and its one big button should be the least difficult to operate in gloves.

I was in the same situation as you a couple of months ago. After reading for months, I decided to wait and save to get a good computer that do not get obsolete in a short time. Many users of this honorable forum suggested me the Petrel 2. In other forum, just one guy wrote something that he didn't like it, but there was nothing with the hardware. So I purchased the Petrel 2. I use it in REC mode, and I love it. I can transfer the logs to my cell phone, tablet or laptop via bluetooth, single AA battery, compass, it looks and feels tough. Just in conclusion: If I have to buy another computer again, it will be the same. I would suggest you to wait and save a little more to buy it, or get an used one. You will not regret.

oh your exchange rate hurts this so bad right now. Try to find a used Dive Rite Nitek Duo on ebay. should be around 100gbp or so, best you can do for now. Only other computer I would recommend is the Shearwater Petrel but that is 2x your budget. Nothing else is really worth looking at for your situation on the new side, so used is best.

Why not something like this Aeris Manta for 131 pounds?

Aeris Manta | eBay

I recently bought the Mares Puck which meets your criteria. Only been on 7 dives with it but I'm quite happy with it and nothing beats the price! Just wish it had a bungee wrist mount, but a loop of bungee around the strap helps hold the computer face forward.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom