First dive at 40 meters - Newbies recreational

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone offering advice to Dody has experience, but as Dody states here... we haven't learned anything. Our experience, apparently, means nothing because he believes one can only learn by reading scientific material.
Not to mention experience plus scientific literature...

Talk for yourself and not for everyone in here. Thank you.

In my post, I stated:

Everyone offering advice to Dody has experience

We still wish you well

We hope you are able to safely gain some real experience

I'm comfortable making those statements on behalf of everyone here.

I was just saying that neither my short diving experience nor your long experience matter when it is about reading medical litterature.

In my post, I stated:

Everyone offering advice to Dody has experience

We still wish you well

We hope you are able to safely gain some real experience

I'm comfortable making those statements on behalf of everyone here.
You should not. You would be surprised. And yes, this part is nice. Not some of the rest.

Oh please. Teach me.
I've taught enough engineering students to understand when it's time to give up and concede to the Dunning-Kruger effect.

I seriously hope that you don't hurt yourself and that I won't be reading about you in A&I. But given what you've demonstrated here, I won't hold my breath about that. Dive safe. Please.

EDIT: A lot of very experienced and very capable divers (not including me, I'm just your average diver with a somewhat above average notion of the literature) have tried to tell you what you did wrong. We've all been there, but we learned. Fortunately without getting majorly hurt, but we very well know when and how we messed up and how that might have turned into a major CF. "For the grace of God" and all that.

"There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Reactions: yle
I said that nothing can be learnt from experience?!?! Make me laugh. I told you that your diving experience does not make you a scientist. Read carefully.

This is not experience. This is reading scientific material and you can’t learn with diving experience.

The second quote here was from your post #333. So...

You ask "I said that nothing can be learnt from experience?!?"

Your post #333: "you can't learn with diving experience."

I'm not making this up, I'm just reading what you wrote. Maybe it's not what you meant, but it is what you posted.

Anyway, in an ascent with my buddy's octopus and a potential air shortage coming, we would rather use the old rule 18m/ min than 9.
I’d stick with 30feet/min. I used to do 60feet/min assents before BCD and modern gear. When dry we had to dump out the cuff or neck seal and when wet we were very negative. With modern gear you’re getting positive very quickly and we gave it up after plenty bloody noses and perforated sinuses if you’re lucky.

The second quote here was from your post #333. So...

You ask "I said that nothing can be learnt from experience?!?"

Your post #333: "you can't learn with diving experience."

I'm not making this up, I'm just reading what you wrote. Maybe it's not what you meant, but it is what you posted.
I said you can’t learn scientific litterature with diving experience. When you delete the context, what are you trying to prove?

I've taught enough engineering students to understand when it's time to give up and concede to the Dunning-Kruger effect.

I seriously hope that you don't hurt yourself and that I won't be reading about you in A&I. But given what you've demonstrated here, I won't hold my breath about that. Dive safe. Please.
I will pass. Thank you.

I’d stick with 30feet/min. I used to do 60feet/min assents before BCD and modern gear. When dry we had to dump out the cuff or neck seal and when wet we were very negative. With modern gear you’re getting positive very quickly and we gave it up after plenty bloody noses and perforated sinuses if you’re lucky.
I agree. I would not do unless I am desperate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom