first deco dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly how "loose" are you suggesting that the dive plan could ever be??? :D

A. :mooner:

As long as the plan does not run past rock bottom it's not loose. I really do not see a problem doing that on the fly. That assumes you know enough to estimate your gas needs and deco in real time. I do have a problem with painting a bright line where there is none. Being a couple minutes over NDL is a greater risk than being being a couple mintues under NDL, but not by much. And not at all if you make your stops. I can't decide if it worth it for you.

"rock bottom"

"on the fly"

"make your stops"

Are you in a DIR class..... or talking about how entry-level, mainstream-agency recreational divers should approach planning dives in mind of decompression?

It sounds to me that YOU understand how to plan for deco. Your planning may not be done precisely before every dive.... it was covered conceptually (rock bottom, on the fly deco) a long time before.

I am talking about people (the majority of divers) who HAVEN'T done a GUE course, or even read articles online....

Like it or not mainstream recreational divers are going to go past NDLs from time to time whether by plan or accident. They should have an idea of what to do next. All the finger wagging denies them of the knowledge of how to safely get out of that situation, or indeed if they are in a situation at all. Understanding the risks and what to do next seems preferable to panic which regrettably appears to be the mainstream approach to planning.

Like it or not mainstream recreational divers are going to go past NDLs from time to time whether by plan or accident. They should have an idea of what to do next. All the finger wagging denies them of the knowledge of how to safely get out of that situation, or indeed if they are in a situation at all. Understanding the risks and what to do next seems preferable to panic which regrettably appears to be the mainstream approach to planning.

Not sure why you think so.

I can't conceive of any answers that haven't been provided in this thread ... including some links to additional information if the reader so chooses. So no one's been denied any knowledge.

The OP asked for people's opinion as to whether or not they considered his actions reckless ... I think he got some honest answers both pro and con to that query.

For sure, this discussions provided plenty to think about ... and, frankly, that's the best possible outcome ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can agree with Bob on last post. Even if I considered the op's actions slightly reckless.

Like it or not mainstream recreational divers are going to go past NDLs from time to time whether by plan or accident. They should have an idea of what to do next. .... Understanding the risks and what to do next seems preferable to panic which regrettably appears to be the mainstream approach to planning.

Exactly. If they want to do deco, then they should be deco trained.

Doing deco, whether intentionally or accidentally, without the correct training and education leaves a diver ignorant of the risks and not know what to do next.

Exactly. If they want to do deco, then they should be deco trained.

Doing deco, whether intentionally or accidentally, without the correct training and education leaves a diver ignorant of the risks and not know what to do next.

I can see where a diver may be required to have "the correct training and education" to receive a certification from a recognized agency; but is that really the only way to obtain the necessary knowledge to be able to safely plan and conduct deco dives?

Absolutely. But the premise of this thread, as I understand it, is someone who does not have a sound knowledge of deco theory experimenting with the circuitry on his wrist 'to test out deco mode'.

Without sound knowledge of theory, one can not predict deco, can not recognize whether or not the computer's profile makes sense, and can not quantitatively determine gas requirements.

I agree.

So the answer to the reckless question is this:

If you have to ASK if this was reckless; than it probably was.

If you have done the exact same thing (slip into deco a little and allow the computer to get you out) without a bunch of pre-planning but rely upon experience to know what is reasonable, then it is no big deal.

I've done this hundreds of times (with little pre-planning)...hardly reckless..(I only go into deco when the dive is going so well that it is necessary or desirable to stay down) If the dive sucks, I will often bail early and try to avoid deco, so I might have a better dive (and more time) on the next drop.. Casually crossing over into the deco range (a little) without specific planning, is no big deal if you have enough air, redundancy and resources to allow you to do it safely. If you are'nt sure what the necessary resources are, then you ARE being reckless if you go into deco.

I usually dive solo, so this simplifies things with this kind of diving. If I were diving with a buddy, I would not be too happy if he decided to go into unplanned deco while at depth without prior agreement with me. I got a working knowledge of certain profiles, but rely on my computer to get me up.

I though the suggestion that someone made to punch in air to the computer, but use an appropriate nitrox mix and then allow the computer to put you into a little deco , is probably a reasonably safe way to gain a working knowledge of how the computer will react to crossing over the theoretical deco boundary.

Back
Top Bottom