first deco dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it was pretty awesome.

The other day I accidentally went into deco by about 3 minutes. My computer had me wait at 10 ft for about 8 minutes then went into safety stop mode for 3 minutes:banghead: I will make sure to not do that again but I was curious why the deco stop didn't start until 10 ft when it usually starts the safety stop at 15. :idk:

Read the manual? Or do a bunch more experiments.

.......The other day I accidentally went into deco by about 3 minutes. My computer had me wait at 10 ft for about 8 minutes then went into safety stop mode for 3 minutes.............. I was curious why the deco stop didn't start until 10 ft when it usually starts the safety stop at 15. :idk:
What was your dive profile?

What dive computer was it?

Most likely it was a light deco driven by the "fast" compartments. Typical response of the Buhlmann algorithm.

The other day I accidentally went into deco by about 3 minutes. My computer had me wait at 10 ft for about 8 minutes then went into safety stop mode for 3 minutes:banghead: I will make sure to not do that again but I was curious why the deco stop didn't start until 10 ft when it usually starts the safety stop at 15. :idk:

Sounds like it might have given you a ceiling... but yeah read the manual

That's because the safety stop is not really necessary but the oceanic helps you do it just because its common practice. The 10' stop it gave you was an actual deco obligation.

His question was:

I was curious why the deco stop didn't start until 10 ft when it usually starts the safety stop at 15 (feet)

ie why wasn't the deco stop at 15' too

I think the answer already given is right. The safety stop is an add-on to the programming -- it's not a stop generated by the model. The 10 foot stop is an actual decompression obligation, generated by the model. Clearly, once NDLs are exceeded, that computer no longer implements the 15 foot stop "kludge".

I still think 10' is probably a ceiling

With my Suunto in that situation it will tell you to ascend to a maximum depth (eg 20') and not to go above a minimum depth ceiling (eg 10') for the duration of the stop

ie stay within the depth 'window' specified, the same as your safety stop count will restart if you drop below a certain depth

So in that example you could do the deco stop at your normal 15' depth anyway

Bottom line is understand how your computer works and what it's telling you

My oceanic cleared long before reaching the 10' ceiling since I did 1min at half max depth and then completed my regular 15' 3min safety stop. So I don't think of it as 'go to 10' now and wait two minutes'. Unless you are running low on air or the guys in the boat are after your kashi bar.

I don't think of it as 'go to 10' now and wait two minutes'

Exactly - ceiling means stay below; in fact if you go to 10' you'll risk accidentally breaking the ceiling and incuring more penalties

My oceanic cleared long before reaching the 10' ceiling since I did 1min at half max depth and then completed my regular 15' 3min safety stop. So I don't think of it as 'go to 10' now and wait two minutes'. Unless you are running low on air or the guys in the boat are after your kashi bar.

Depending on the deco algorithm used by your computer, the "one min at half max depth" may cause the computer to accrue more deco (or could clear it completely).

When running my VR3 (VPM-B algorithm) vs my Nitek Duo (Bulhmann) side by side....

I'd be clearing deco on my VR3 during a computer mandated "deep stop" and the Nitek Duo would be adding more deco. I'd get to the 20 foot stop, switch to O2, and the VR3 would clear me several minutes before the Duo did (because the VR3 counted the "deep stop" for decompression whereas the Duo counted it as additional time spent at depth).

I wound up bending the poo out of my poor Duo on one series of dives, and the VR3 was perfectly happy...bamamedic was also happy and unbent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom