First computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the DG03 bought cheap from DGX in the bungie mount. Does all I need for rec diving (inc nitrox). Annoyingly the back light went on mine after a couple of years. Not a problem on day time diving. The instruction manual is poorly written, but there is an identical Aeries computer and that manual is fine! My eyes are not what they used to be and it is not currently a problem with the DG03. It is not as big as the zoop, but clearly not the sort of thing you're going to keep on your wrist if you go to the pub after the dive.

I agree with this. I have used many different dive computers, from very expensive, to very inexpensive. I always use wrist computers as that format and style lets me switch between different gear configurations, but let's me be streamlined and consistent in the water.

The one consistent thing that makes me "like" a computer is how easy it is to work and understand. Often this relates to price. The more expensive computers are "usually" easier to work and understand all of their functions. Easy to read screen often goes hand in hand with easy to work as well. I would never have considered an easy to read screen as an important feature, as I just assumed they all had easy to read screens. I was wrong though.

Currently I am using a Suunto Eon Steel and a Suunto D6i for a backup computer. I like the steel a good bit, but it is pricy.

I purchased the Eon Steel, the perdix Ai, and a Suunto D6i at about the same time and used all three of them until I determined which ones were "keepers" for me. The goal was to find a primary computer and a backup computer I liked. The Perdix and the Steel are both great computers but the steel was my preferred model for my primary computer needs.

I kept the Suunto D6I as my backup computer. It's not inexpensive, but as a backup computer I wanted a watch sized computer that was still full featured. When I'm diving both the steel and the D6i, I almost never look at the d6i, as the display is so good on the steel. I do like the D6 too though.

Previous

The cheap computers remind me of the old casio watches. The Perdix reminds me of my first smart phone. When will they put a camera in one?

I think just ease of use for me overall. There wasn't a clear moment that I decided to go with the Suunto, and I considered keeping all three. I was wearing all three computers for every dive waiting to see which one I liked the best. I ended up just using the steel more. I liked the compass on it (A lot), the display and customization, and the ease of use.

That's not to say anything negative about the Shearwater whatsoever. It's a great computer, and a lot of customers like it very much. The support on the shearwater is great, and it's a great company. I had a few connection issues with the air integration features on the shearwater, but that could have just been the learning curve.

They are both great computers.

@hunter991

What is it about Suunto that made you choose it over the Shearwater?

Thanks, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom