First Cold Water Post-dive Thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There used to be a dive shop in Vernal that would occasionally take people on what I think must be an epic dive: Green River below the dam.

I dove tahoe once I’m the summer. Low of 52 deg at 42ft. That crap was cold. Even in a 7mm wetsuit with gloves and a hood. Nothing to see but rocks and crayfish. I’ll pass on any more cold water diving thank you.
Saw a few thousand fish in Tahoe yesterday (Mackinaw and Lahontan cutthroat trout, huge schools of juvenile trout of different varieties and Lahontan redside shiners, speckled dace, and even a Paiute sculpin), as well as some pretty epic granite walls. Low of 48F at 120'. Saturday was largely the same, though a different part of the lake. It was also 44 at depth. Thermocline is right around 45' right now, and it's in the 60s above that.

61 F is fairly warm. My last cold water dive was about Easter . Surface water was 46.4 and below 13m it was 39.2 which was not cold. 4mm compressed neoprene drysuit, 5 mm hood, 5 mm neoprene gloves with tips of thumbs and first fingers cut out. Track suit bottoms and long sleeved shirt of similar material.

Back
Top Bottom