First Boat - Dream or Folly??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt is absolutely correct that there's no one perfect boat. If there were, we'd all have
the same boat. Heck, if I won the Lotto, I'd have at least three: My present 17' Whaler
for trailer boat diving, a small soft bottom inflatable, or maybe a 13' Whaler for launching
at Pt. Lobos on the days when the tides are wrong for the 17', which is most days, and
a bigger boat with a cabin and lots of deck space, maybe a 27' Whaler Challenger.

Rick,

Your selfish ceiling price of $7,000 did not sit well with the Spokane crew of divers...sorry bud but it was the committee consensus that you are just gonna have to bite the bullet and spend considerable $$$ more to meet the expectations of your diving compadres here in the home town. A list of boats we feel are suitable and will meet the expectations of the boat sub committee will be coming your way.....

Sincerely

The Boat Purchasing Sub Committee

Rick Inman:
And why have no women chimed in either way?
Maybe 'cause most of us are smart enough to realize our opinion doesn't matter to a guy who wants to buy a boat? Besides, I really don't have any advice to add to that already given. So instead I'll brag about my boat :D

I'm pleased with my 19'6" Whaler. It's an older (1976) boat that is not as sleek and shiny and pointy as those little boats Pug keeps posting and removing, but at least I don't have to paddle it.

It trailers well even over Turnagain, Johnson and Moose Passes on the way down to and back from Seward. Once the 150hp Johnson starts, it runs like a champ and has no problem turning the boat into an an airborn missile when jumping waves and wakes. It's primary purpose to me is a dive boat, but it served well as a kayak transport scow during a summer outing as well as a halibut and salmon fishing charter. Even after all the repairs I've done and the cosmetic restoration I would like to do, it (will) cost less than $7K, but then I don't mind sleeping in a tent.... That said, there has been more than one occassion where I was kinda wishing I could afford some kind of canopy for it ~ as I was scrounging for my ski goggles so I would be able to see without my eyeballs getting powerwashed by rain water :11:

Rick-
I have been a lurker here for some time but after finding this post, I had to join sbc just to voice an opinion here. I love my boat. I love diving from my boat. I love sleeping on it up in the San Juans. I love fishing off of it on the Columbia River. Weirdest of all, I love working on it. It has inspired me to get back into diving.

It is everything that everyone has said stay away from. It's a 27 foot Bayliner from the mid eighties. It has a chevy 350 inboard and a volvo penta I/O. It's name is Midnight Star but maybe should be Just Barely. I can just barely dive off it- I wish it had more deck spece to suit up and a better swim platform. I can just barely tow it- it's the narrower 8 ft beam but you just wouldn't want to tow anything bigger. I can just barely stay on it for a week or so but it does have a galley, a head with a shower and a dedicated sleeping aft cabin. I can just barely afford it and frankly it's on the edge of what I want to pilot in close quarters.

I bought it salvage from an insurance co. after it sank-the one thing the other guys didn't mention is that most boats, other than the top brands mentioned, have fiberglass encapsolated(sp?) plywood for thier transoms(the big flat back end of the boat) and encapsolated wood for thier stringers. When left in the water for long periods, water finds it's way in and the wood rots- leaving the engine and outdrive mounted to a structure that is unstable and can move. Then when the boat hits something even as soft as a sandbar the outdrive pulls away from the transom and water comes pouring in. This is how I came to own my boat. Boats that spend most of thier lives on trailers don't usually have this problem unless they are left uncovered and turn into bathtubs. I've spent 2 years re-building it during the evenings when I could have been watching TV. I learned a whole lot along the way, and there were times when I just about gave up. I've got way less than your budget into it and I know every screw, nut and bolt and am confident that it is solid. I had a professional do the fiberglass and sent the heads off of the motor to a machine shop. Other than that I did all the work myself. The upolstery isn't perfect, there are scratches in the hull, there are some stains in the interior cushions. All that said it goes almost 40 mph and takes me and my wife to places I could never go without it. I don't take it much into the Ocean proper but there are hundreds if not thousands of miles of inland waters in the Puget Sound, the San Juans and on up through the Gulf islands into Canada. There is just something about being on my own boat late at night after an amazing dive, watching the stars, cooking something cozy and warm and then figuring out where we'll point it tomorrow. I've had a few "Oh- @#%!" moments as well but nothing a cool head can't get through.
As noted there will probably be many "projects" available because of the recent hurricanes. It's just a thought but I can personally recommend the elbow grease, tinkering and hard work methodology path to boat ownership. It takes some skill, some common sense but mostly just perserverence. There are a lot of on-line resources and many forums similar to this one where knowledgeable folks willingly help you out. Best of luck - Ace

"Future witty quote re:water and diving goes here"

Wow!
I am 55 years old and have never not owned a boat since I was 16. I know a lot about boats, power and sail. I have a CG captains license. I my gut reaction was to say wow go for it! I know people who hve got screamin deals for 7 grand or there abouts . . .
and. . . you can also buy into someone else's nightmare. Crankins idea of an inflatable w/a decent outboard is good place to start. also take the Power Squadron course someone else suddested.

Rick Inman:
I don't know about all you guys. You say, "Don't do it! It's terrible, it's offal, only a crazy man would buy a boat," and then you go on to tell me what kind of boat(s) you have.

Oh, and Hank49, it's the latter.

Any decision you make will be a tradeoff.
I have a 24 foot boat that I trailer everywhere, but it's just me when I go and I think in your situation ( with 2 of you) you might really be best to get another trailer and then have an inflatable with a small outboard to dive off during the day. I don't do enough long trips to justify the trailer. Most of my boating is weekend stuff locally although I do occasionally go out myself for a week at a time living on my boat.
One of the biggest advantages in sticking with a trailer is that you can sleep, shower, and use toilet facilites on land. Sleeping on a boat and dealing with getting everything you need on and off the boat all the time is a BIG pain. Also having to deal with ALL the boating issues go away with a zodiac. Trailer issues are much easier to deal with.
Of course with a zodic you can't usually go 10 miles offshore, but you may not want to do that too often anyway and when you do, go with a charter boat.

John C.

Rick Inman:
I don't know about all you guys. You say, "Don't do it! It's terrible, it's offal, only a crazy man would buy a boat," and then you go on to tell me what kind of boat(s) you have.

Oh, and Hank49, it's the latter.

I was surprised to see this string again. Anyway Rick last I checked I am a woman. Check my profile! I bought a brand spanking new 28' Maxuum Sport Cruiser. And I learned quit a bit about boats - more than i ever care to know. Best boat for me now that I sold mine is someone else's. funny, I now have a hell of a lot more money since I dumped that thing. I can now rent a boat if the desire should sneak up on me.

Personally, I like simplicity. I have a few boats but the one I use most often is a little 2-3 passenger ocean kayak. I can take it literally anywhere, it doesn't require a trailer, it doesn't suck gas and it only set me back $800 new!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom