First Boat - Dream or Folly??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$$$$Save your money, 7g'sfor a cruiser only if the coast guard follows you around for free. I've owned several different boats over the years and every time I sell it's the happiest time of my life....however, living in Florida it's a must. If you can't find the right deal...keep looking. If your intentions are to travel with it and use it as much as the camper then invest in a pre-owned, new used boat, with warranty.

JC

I don't know about all you guys. You say, "Don't do it! It's terrible, it's offal, only a crazy man would buy a boat," and then you go on to tell me what kind of boat(s) you have.

And why have no women chimed in either way?

Oh, and Hank49, it's the latter.

"I don't know about all you guys. You say, "Don't do it! It's terrible, it's offal, only a crazy man would buy a boat," and then you go on to tell me what kind of boat(s) you have."

That should tell you something. Further, people who have bad expeirences are like a moth to a flame drawn to sleek, plushly upholstered, pointy looking boats, cheap boats that are the WRONG boats for them. THE WRONG BOATS! Peoples percieved wants and needs are sometimes not on the same page. Boats are not all the same, they are not all the same type, the same construction, the same purpose. The boats these people buy are not what they needed, they never understand that and keep buying the same head turning I/O pointy boats looking with shiney plastic everywhere. It is all flash and cheapness. The boats don't hold up and they go buy another junker just like the one that just dissapoijnted them. Like moths to the flame, they never learn. I see 30 and even 40 year old Whalers and certain others all the time, hulls that have been refitted numerous times over decades with new engines and electronics because the basic boat is built to last.
Any sizeable amount of money spent on a used boat get a survey for it. Avoid I/O boats for saltwater, avoid all those pointy carpeted boats with the cute little sun pads and pretend ski towers. Buy a center console or cuddy, a boat meant for the sea, outboard powered with newer engines under warranty. Oh well, good luck all you people. N

Uncle, read back a few of my posts and you will see that I am talking to general audiance, people read these threads who maybe looking at a boat purchase and be put off by the negativity. The original post, 7,000 dollars, lol, that is just about hopeless, the original premise is not based on realistic expectations. Thus my trying to guide away from that "dream". When I said get a CC or cuddy built for the sea I was talking to a larger audience and also all the people who run ownership down because of their bad results with the "cheap plastic, vinyl and carpeted pointy looking boats that fall apart" sorts. I agree, new or used, don't waste your money on those type boats, they will dissapoint you, especially if used in the sea. Unfortunately I don't think they will make very good future dive sites when they sink sooner than later. N

Nemrod:
..."cheap plastic, vinyl and carpeted pointy looking boats that fall apart" sorts. I agree, new or used, don't waste your money on those type boats, they will dissapoint you, especially if used in the sea. Unfortunately I don't think they will make very good future dive sites when they sink sooner than later. N

LOL! Aint it amazing the lessons we learn the hard way? I was just trying to figure out how much $$$ I have wasted on poor boat purhcase decisions. Cripes! I could be as rich as Bill Gates if I just had all that lost boat $$ back. You know, I was going to say wasted, but it's never wasted if you get to go out on the water. Hmmm...
Ok, Rick, here's the deal. The "honest to goodness lowdown" on boat ownership.

If the call of the water/ocean/sea, (whatever you get the picure), is SO strong for you and you would give up almost ANYTHING to be out there on the waves, well then, you are about to join this group of insane folks called boat owners. Why do we do it? We LOVE it, no matter the cost. As another poster said, access to a machine shop is a great asset. My Grandpa, whom I bought(ok, stole) my first boat from was a machinist, or tool & die maker. It really helps to be able to get custom parts made from stainless steel now and then.

The bottom line is that boats are a major pain in the backside. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you to want to deal with the upkeep.

Here's one last thought on the subject. Are you a "builder" or "do it yourselfer"? If not, you better have a ton of $$$ to get into boating. If you don't like to invent and fabricate things for mechanical things, then boating is NOT for you unless you want to pay someone else to do it for you. Frankly, you need to be a mechanic. Not so much in the "motor" sense, but in the sense that you need to be able to think on your feet and invent solutions to problems with limited resources.(like when your 12 miles off-shore and you have a small too kit and chewing gum to fix your trolling motor with) Kinda like McGyver(sp?)

Anyway, I think you get the point. If you are questioning whether boat ownership is right for you or not, the answer is simple. NO, it's not. Some of us are just drawn into it, and it was never a question whether we would have a boat. It was just a question of when. I got my first powerboat at 21 and never looked back. Ah, the ignorance of youth.

I don't think anyone mentioned it, so I will. Sailboats typically have largish cabins below. You can trailer ones less than 24' long fairly easy, they use tiny motors which use very little fuel. They take more work to operate, but they do their job quietly, and they are nice on the environment.

Not quite what your interested in, but I bought a 30' sailboat 4 or 5 years ago, my first boat, and I love it. I keep it on the lake (no trailering), and I just explore the lake. It is very similar to a 25' travel trailer confined to the lake: Stand up headroom, microwave, refrigerator, sleeps 5 or so, home theatre system, .... However, trailerable sailboats are often talked about and are a viable option for weekend sailors, but they are smaller: probably won't be able to stand up in them but they will sustain vacationers (head, water storage, sleeping quarters, ...).

I would have felt guilty if I didn't at least point out "the other boating option".

Rick Inman:
I don't know about all you guys. You say, "Don't do it! It's terrible, it's offal, only a crazy man would buy a boat," and then you go on to tell me what kind of boat(s) you have.

And why have no women chimed in either way?

Oh, and Hank49, it's the latter.

Go for it Rick. At least up your way you don't have to worry about those little weather patterns like the one just off Belize at the moment. You can do everything right and one of those comes along and ....pooof!......it's gone...It looks like mine just dodged a bullet. I had it out of the water getting gel coated and I'm in Indiana. Whew!!:D

As you can see in my few project pictures, I had a little work to repair some deck rot in my new boat project. With a little work and understanding of repairs, the boat is running great and I have under $7000 invested. It was not easy, and my work is in progress, but the boat takes me where I want to dive and when I want to dive.

Scott

What most boat owners want is the $$$ to afford all the boats to suit all the needs and desires. For those nice days when I am not planning to dive but weekend at an island I would like a 45' Donzi ZX with the 2700 HP option. That would make for a nice ride....ahhhhh.

The truth is no one boat will address all your needs and desires. You need to figure out what you plan to spend the majority of your time doing on the water. I would love one of those utility center console boats for diving. You could store tons of gear, have plenty of space to suit up 6 divers, etc., etc. They are the worst boats for comfort though. They offer little relief from the sun or other elements. I am partial to a hard top with a cabin, head, bunks, table, etc. You can dive from it, cruise on it, and weekend on it. If you have an admiral she will grow tired of the utility design quickly unless she is real hard core. For the cold New England Spring and Fall the cabin makes it so much more enjoyable. Those with the center consoles are cruising in ski jackets which is OK but not as comfortable as the protection offered by a cabin.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every engine type. Most boats with a standard outboard have a low transom and reduced usable deck space. You have the advantage of trimming them out of the salt water when you are done. I/O's typically offer more usable deck space with higher transoms. I like higher transoms for rougher water. You can often sit on the padded engine cushion if it's not below the deck. The disadvantage is they bottom portion of the drive is always in the water. Any machine exposed to salt water will need constant attention for sure. You need to replace the zincs, keep up with the outdrive paint, bottom paint of course, corrosion protection on all electrical and engine components, etc. The real killer is raw water cooling. If you buy a new I/O, get the full fresh water cooling system. It will save $$$ in the long run, adds to your resale value, etc.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom