First Boat - Dream or Folly??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I feel like I’m leaning dangerously over a bottomless well. Maybe someone could either push me in, or pull me out.

First a little background, so as to better give answers appropriate to our situation.

For the past few years, my wife and I have been enjoying the use of our old 25’ camping trailer, which we’d haul to different dive locations and stay anywhere from 2 days to 14 days, enjoying the camping and diving. We’ve gone to the Puget Sound area a lot, Monterey CA a couple of times, and other nice diving locations. We’ve stayed at RV resorts, campgrounds, simple pullouts, and even the Wal-Mart parking lots. We really love getting away, and I love being right at the diving locations. Of course, the diving has been limited to shore or charter or friend’s boats.

The trailer has seen it’s best days, so recently I sold it and bought an HID light (nice trade, uh?).

Our plan was to buy a little nicer trailer in the spring. However, out of the blue, my wife says to me, why not buy a boat? You know, something we could haul around, but still big enough to stay overnight in (sometimes up to 10 days) instead of a camping trailer. We could park it at marinas and take it out diving during the day. We’re always by the water anyway, so why not?

I told her the “hole in the water” thing. I told her, boats cost so much more that we couldn’t get anything good on the money we’ll have to spend. I told her, the maintenance takes too much time and money. I told her, I’ve never had a boat and don’t know anything about them (I think she at least believed this last part).

So she went on the internet and started looking at used cruisers. She started showing me pictures and prices. Our budget is only $7000.00 (no financing). But some of the older boats in that price range looked pretty good. Even though I don’t know the first thing about hull construction or engines, or saltwater verses freshwater boats, I started to get excited about the idea that this might work. I could see us happily cruising the San Juan Islands, slipping into peaceful coves at night and diving by day. BBQing fresh caught fish off the deck and cozy-ing down into the V-birth at night watching DVDs on the laptop. Waking up to the smell of the salt water and fresh coffee and a perfect sunrise on the flat sea.

Then I woke up! At the money we have budgeted, we end up with a piece of junk. We’re lost at sea, the engine won’t start, the boat’s taking on water, the wind and rain has come up, my wife is puking over the side, the electrical has shorted out…

So the question is, would seven grand get us this dream (the good one)? Is a boat we could stay in doable at this price range? Could a landlubber like me make something like this work?

Or should we just get the camping trailer and hope for the occasional mercy-dive off of Uncle Pug?

You could get lucky for your 7000 but chances are you won't. One thing you might want to do is take a nautical course for safety, navigation etc. Here in Canada we have the Power and Sail Squadron that puts on various marine course that I would recommend to even the most seasoned skipper. That would be the first thing to look into. I've been waterbound for most of my life but still got screwed for a charter boat last year. I spent well over 80000 on a boat that went through two engines (Brand new boat by the way). So Start with the course and then start small. Get another trailer and get a rigid inflatable with a 25-40HP on it and when you're ready to jump up to something bigger you'll know. But, this is just my advice.

Rick,

If you keep watching for the right deal you can stay in budget. Winter time is a good time to shop for boats. You can find a motivated seller. The size of the boat is something to consider. The smallest boat to consider is a 19 foot hard top / cuddie cabin. Not alot of room with all the dive gear, but easy to tow over the pass to the San Juan's. I have a 21 foot that has double the room of a 19' for gear and comfort. The largest boat I would consider for a trailer is 26'.

Boats can be a money pit if you are not able to maintain them yourself. If you have some mechanical experience you are one step in the right direction. If you do not know boats, get a marine servey befor you buy. Galv. trailers with two axels is best for pulling and diping into salt water. A good fiberglass boat will outlast any motor that powers it. Outboards are lower maintance, but older 2 stroke outboards are loud and smoke. My advice is to look for an older boat with a newer rebuilt or replaced motor. 1970's - 1990, 22' - 26'. Ceck out www.boattrader.com

Hi Rick,

I have owned three different boats. My favorite was the Four Winns 190 Horizon. I think that you could get a boat in your budget that would serve your purpose. However(you saw this coming, right?) You will not get a very big boat in very good condition for this amount. Perhaps consider something in the low 20' length, that will withstand rough seas. Storms come up out there FAST! I have always preferred fiberglass hulls for ease of maintenance, durability, etc. I think most folks would agree when talking about boats in this size catagory. If you plan on going far off-shore, consider something with twin screws(two motors). Redundancy applies here, just like deep diving, although with two motors, the price goes way up. Outboards are generally reliable, but if it hits the fan out there and you can't see shore, you want another means to get in. I've been towed a couple times and it's a drag. I'm a big fan of the 5.7 liter V-8's. The amount of hours on any motor will affect price: the more hours, the lower the price and vice versa. I can tell you from recent experience that if you have to replace a powerhead on an outboard - like my Evinrude 150 - you cough up about 3 - 4K, depending on how much of the work you can do yourself. Which brings me to my next point. Boat shops charge big bucks, $90/hr here, for labor. Learn to work on your boat yourself(oh, and you will) if you have reasonable mechanical ability. I find it quite fun, as I used to work for a local boat shop during summers while in college.
Another point: 10 days on a small cabin cruiser with just about any other human will have you wanting to shoot them. Especially if they constantly practice their John Wayne impersonation :wink: I prefer to tie up in a slip overnight if I stay more than three days.

More rambling advice that is only MY OPINION and will surely draw fire: Stay AWAY from Bayliners & Force outboards. A force is NOT a Mercury! My preferred boat brands are Sea-Ray, Four Winns, Chaparral, Mako, Boston Whaler, Stingray, hoo boy, this could get long. There are a TON of brands out there that will serve you well. As for outboards I have three favorites: Mercury, Mercury, and um, Mercury. Inboards: Mercruiser or OMC. Some folks have had great luck with the Volvo-Penta's.

Make no mistake about it, my friend. Once you pay for the boat, your spending has just begun. BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand. And there's two types of boaters: Those who have left the "plug" out, and those who will. Happy Boating!

2Dive4fun:
Rick,

If you do not know boats, get a marine servey befor you buy. A good fiberglass boat will outlast any motor that powers it. Outboards are lower maintance, but older 2 stroke outboards are loud and smoke. My advice is to look for an older boat with a newer rebuilt or replaced motor. 1970's - 1990, 22' - 26'. Ceck out www.boattrader.com

Yep, what 2dive4fun said:

GET A MARINE SURVEY! And just because a boat is a bit older does not necessarily mean it's in bad shape.

FOLLY!!!

1. At that price you will be buying a gas engine so expect to drop a couple hundred for fuel each trip (and that is just for the boat ~ expect to drop a couple hundred for fuel to drag it over here as well.)

2. Back 20% out of your total. That is what you will need in first year repairs and upgrades.

3. Back another 30% out of your total. That is what you will need to rebuild your 3/4 ton P/U's I'm stupid (you do have a 3/4 ton P/U don't you? If not... skip the idea of hauling a boat you can sleep on over the pass.)

4. Get insurance... with on water towing. Go for the bigger tow package.

5. You'll need spare parts... plus the skill to work on the engine.

Still... I'm sure you will enjoy your boat and it will certainly open up new vistas for you and your wife. We have run across some very good deals and with the price of fuel right now folks are jumping out of boating. As soon as the fuel pump sticker shock wears off folks will be jumping back in. Now is a good time (as well as good time of year in general) to be looking. Something to consider: a boat that you and your wife are camping on is not a good dive platform... unless your buddy and his wife are also camping on his own boat nearby... and you have a third boat to use for the diving. :wink:

Two more things to consider:

1. What are you going to tow it with? A boat in the size range being discussed here
needs a serious tow vehicle. The tow vehicle should have a tow rating at LEAST 30%
higher than the combined weight of boat, motor, trailer, fuel, and gear. 50% is even
better with that mountain range.

2. Where are you going to keep it when it's out of the water? It ain't gonna fit in the
garage. Side yard? (Check legalities). Driveway? (Check legalities). Storage yard?
In any case, check out security and weather considerations.

I had an RV and a 12 foot inflatable achilles with a 25, that I carried on a rack mounted on the trailer hitch. No trailer, the boat was economical, comfortable lodgings, good dive boat. I really enjoyed the set up. I used it for about 10 years.

I'd go with another trailer and an inflatable for $7000. You really don't want to start fixing a larger outboard, labor and parts are outrageous.

I've been looking around in the same price range, but my needs are less. I'm not looking for something that I can sleep in. I don't want to go too far offshore, I'd be happy to begin with in lake washington and in puget sound in the vicinity of seattle and tacoma. Single outboard. Probably the most I'd want for hauling capacity in the boat would be two teams of two with doubles, scooter and a single stage. I've looked most closely at RIBs and Whalers, in the 17' range, and I think the Whalers win in terms of price -- I've had a hard time finding used RIBs, though.

I also need a truck to tow the thing. I was thinking V6 4x4 Ford Ranger. I suppose if I might plan on stepping up to a boat that I could sleep in overnight on trips to the san juans I might want to get a V8 diesel 4x4 or something so that I had that excess capacity... Dunno... I definitely don't feel comfortable buying a bigger 20'+ boat as a first boat...

lamont:
I've been looking around in the same price range, but my needs are less. I'm not looking for something that I can sleep in. I don't want to go too far offshore, I'd be happy to begin with in lake washington and in puget sound in the vicinity of seattle and tacoma. Single outboard. Probably the most I'd want for hauling capacity in the boat would be two teams of two with doubles, scooter and a single stage. I've looked most closely at RIBs and Whalers, in the 17' range, and I think the Whalers win in terms of price -- I've had a hard time finding used RIBs, though.

I also need a truck to tow the thing. I was thinking V6 4x4 Ford Ranger. I suppose if I might plan on stepping up to a boat that I could sleep in overnight on trips to the san juans I might want to get a V8 diesel 4x4 or something so that I had that excess capacity... Dunno... I definitely don't feel comfortable buying a bigger 20'+ boat as a first boat...

No matter how big your first boat is, you'll soon find it isn't big enough. Personally, I pull my current 19' Stratos with an '05 Toyota Tundra w/ V-8 and it has NO problem pulling it over the passes here in Colorado, some over 10,000' elevation. Whalers are definitely great boats, very durable. I work on one(mechanic) at a local State Park, it's the Ranger's boat. It seems the boat itself needs very little maintenance but the red/blue lights, PA/siren, etc. need work often.

Back
Top Bottom