First BC questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEW2SCUBA19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to purchase my first bcd and need info. I plan on only open water, mostly freshwater, purely recreational diving. What is better? back only inflating, full vest inflating, or ??? I have a friend who has a Mares Syncro tech back inflating bc, said he'd sell it to me. Any suggestions, info, or what to stay away from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Tyson

I tried a full vest inflating and hated it - too bulky, and it squeezed me when inflated. Back inflating is my favourite, and what I currently dive.

From it seems more people prefer the back infating BC's or the Back plate&wing systems. Best thing to do is got your LDS and if they have a pool or offer a try before you by thing and try out 1 of each so you can understand and feel the difference in each one. Every diver is differnt and each can like something else.

Some people like Jacket style with Full Vest as when inflated on surface it tilts you back. The downside it's harder to stay in trim and some don't like the Squeeze of it. The back inflate/BP&W systems help you to obtain better trim in the water. Downside which some people don't like is they tend to tilt you forward. The advantage of the Backplate/Wing is a lot of diver will get the Stainless Steel backplate and some the 6lb singletank adapter. What this does is build you lead weight into the BC and puts it across your back so what that means is less weight you need to put onto your waist.

I am not familiar with Mares line but there are alot of Good BC's out there. Jackets That I have seen and look good (Oceanic/Bare/Scubapro/Hollis) For BP/W (Halcyon/Diverite/Hog/Hollis/OMS) But as I stated earlier best thing is go out and try one of each.

The BP&W is more adaptable to different types of diving environments and diver sizes. If you want a regular BC then there is no substitute for trying on different types. You can try your friend's Mares but also try on a rental jacket and see if you like that. Don't be swayed by gimmicks such as the number of D-Rings, etc. but concentrate on how it feels in the water. Also ask your friend why he is selling his Mares.

From it seems more people prefer the back infating BC's or the Back plate&wing systems.

Some people like Jacket style with Full Vest as when inflated on surface it tilts you back. The downside it's harder to stay in trim

But as I stated earlier best thing is go out and try one of each.

From annual BC sales figures, more people go with vest BC's

For many divers a vest BC does not make it hard to stay in trim.

Trying one of each is not going to answer all the questions, as each may take some time to dive well.

Here's a review of the syncro tech:
Diver Tests February 1998

Please try before you buy n it would save you a lot of unnecessary headaches should you get something that you don't like.

I've hear a lot of good things about the zeagle express tech and I'm in the process of getting one for myself $185 from LP:
Zeagle Express Tech BCD

You might want to call them to request if they can swap out the 24lbs wing for something larger like the 35lbs wing.

Another good back inflate is a balance,
If you like a jacket then this is one of the best around:
Scubapro Classic Sport BC

Cheers,

SangP

I have dived with "full jacket", back inflation BCD's and BP/W. I would recommend a back inflation BCD for the type of diving you intend in doing. It is less restrictive, have clear and open chest area, and will help with your buoyancy and trim in the water. There are plenty of makes and models available. I have diving experience with both Scubapro KnightHawk and Oceanic’s Islanders II. They both work great. The oceanic is a lightweight recreational BC (around $400), the KnightHawk is a more technical BC that can also be used with doubles and is more expensive (around $900).

Have a look what is around, what fits your budget and diving needs, and go for it. Equipment has evolved and there are very few (if any) bad products.

I will mostly be doing open freshwater diving locally, as there are many lakes here in Utah. When traveling i will most likely rent equipment. Cooler temp water, wearing a farmer john wetsuit. thanks to all for your help

I am a big fan of back inflate BC...I dive an Aeris Atmos XT-Its not 100% back inflate but I rarely fill it to the point that I feel the wrap around squeeze effect. Its comfortable and packs up pretty well.

Aeris Atmos LX BCD reviews and discounts, Aeris

Its even on sale! Best advice I got when shopping is to pick one that fit your needs and was comfortable out of as well as in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom