First BC in 1968?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich,

No, actually in the early 1960s the vest design evolved into the Fenzy vest, which some feel was the first commercially-available buoyancy compensator. In the early 1970s these evolved into the vests by Scubapro, Nemrod, Seatec etc. Very shortly thereafter the Stabilizer Jacket was developed by Scubapro.

In January 2006 David McLean put together a PowerPoint presentation on the history of buoyancy compensation.

Bill Herder, owner of Deep Sea Bill's in Newport, Oregon came out with an interesting design where the BC was the back of his custom wet suits, and I had two built for me. The first was an inverted "U" shape glued into the wet suit, but then he decided a sandwich design where the whole back of the wet suit was the BC worked better, so he re-did my wet suit to make that concept. (See the photo below, the white portion of my wet suit is Bill's sandwich BC.)

I gave a talk at the IQ-6, or Sixth International Conference on Underwater Education October 4-6, 1974 in San Diego, CA where I talked about the advantages and disadvantages of various strategies for buoyancy compensation. The diagram below comes from that talk, titled "The Life Vest."

I came out with a modified vest that I called the Para-Sea BC, but was never able to get anyone interested in producing it (early 1980s).

The first BCD was probably described by Tom Mount in his book, Safe Cave Diving, published by The National Association for Cave Divers in 1971. In it I believe (from memory) that he described using two chlorox bottles tied together with the rope under the arms for buoyancy compensation in caves.

SeaRat

Attachments

• John River Dive with Wet Suit BC.jpg
    John River Dive with Wet Suit BC.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Balancing Buoyancy008.jpg
    Balancing Buoyancy008.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 65
I remember these from the late 60's. the valve was a fill only, to vent you went nose down and let the air out the back of the tubes.

I noticed this ad on the back inside cover of the October 1968 Skin Diver Magazine the other day. This is the first device on market I can recall that was intended as a Buoyancy Compensator rather than an emergency floatation device that could be inflated at depth like the Bouée Fenzy.

View attachment 105052

One of these is also on E-bay, thought his link won’t last forever:

1968 SCUBA EQUALIZER SAFTBALLAST DIVING SCUBA DIVER AD | eBay

Can anyone think of an earlier BC, home-brew or on the market?

Ok. As long as we are all spilling our guts, my first bc was a snorkel vest. Just had to be smart about filling. No training, just high school physics.

Ok. As long as we are all spilling our guts, my first bc was a snorkel vest. Just had to be smart about filling. No training, just high school physics.

I would swim down and when on the bottom put just enough air in the snorkel vest to get neutral, before leaving the bottom I would vent all the air from the vest and swim up.

I would swim down and when on the bottom put just enough air in the snorkel vest to get neutral, before leaving the bottom I would vent all the air from the vest and swim up.

I would do the same thing with my Mae West military surplus vest. Getting the air back out was a real trick as there was no dump valve. Just the little tube so one had to chase the bubble around and get it to the tube. Of course, forgetting to vent, well, it was interesting. I preferred being light and picking up a nice stone than being slightly heavy and having to put air into my Mae West.

These SCUBA vests were not intended for buoyancy compensation. That concept was in it's infancy. They were intended for surface floatation assist and had a CO2 cartridge as well as a small oral inflator tube.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom