First (and last) regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys may need to update your respective knowledgebases.

A Halcyon H75P/Halo is $799. The ScubaPro equivalent is the Mk25 EVO/G260, which is $999.

Halcyon is re-branded and LESS expensive, not marked up. (I, too, was very surprised when I realized this)

I did my Adv Trimix class few years ago with another student who is a GUE guy on the WKPP and also an engineer (or was) at Halcyon. He told me that the H75P was updated and has the same internals as the Mk25 EVO. However, I do believe it is correct that the Halcyon Halo 2nd stage is a re-badged G250, not a G260.
I am confused, is that not what I said using the Halo and G260 for comparison and the Halo is quite a bit less expensive? No big deal, I agree, the Halcyon regs are a fine deal and in no way would I feel badly about owning them except I would probably sub in a vintage G250 cover :wink:. It is certainly possible the H75 has been updated to Evo standards since I last looked one over. The H50 does not appear to be Evo as it does not have the same port arrangement as the Mark 17 Evo.

Changing subject a little. As to the demise of AL et al, well, I did try to order some parts through two LDS and they were unable to get the parts. They also told me they had great difficulty getting stock. I was able to get the needed parts through the usual source here on the board.

Personally, my current sets of regs are:

ScubaPro Mk25 EVO/G260 (doubles and/or bail out)
Atomic M1 (doubles)
Halcyon H75P/Halo (single tank)
Dive Rite XT1/XT2 (deco)
Dive Rite XT1/XT4 (side mount)
I'm curious why such variety? My guess is that you took advantage of deals. Wouldn't any of these regs work just fine for any of these purposes? They're all great regs.

My thinking has been to have all my regs the same, to the extent possible, so I can swap things around, get them serviced at the same place (ideally, my own workbench), etc. Is my quest for uniformity silly?

Is my quest for uniformity silly?

No, just boring 😔

What if one brand has issues with parts supply chain or something similar? I'd rather work with two great brands just in case.

No, just boring 😔

What if one brand has issues with parts supply chain or something similar? I'd rather work with two great brands just in case.
Good point. Okay, then I might split my regs between two brands. But four (or more) brands? That seems to me like bordering on reg-collector. Nothing odd about curating a "collection," if that is one's interest. But it's more about the fun of collecting than efficiency.

Good point. Okay, then I might split my regs between two brands. But four (or more) brands? That seems to me like bordering on reg-collector. Nothing odd about curating a "collection," if that is one's interest. But it's more about the fun of collecting than efficiency.

Just Scubapro and Atomic, nothing else matters 😜

After my "incident" of two summers ago now I decided to upgrade and to standardize as much as possible. Thus I have been getting rid of everything that is not a G250 or G260 or Mk 2, Mk V, Mk 17E or Mk 20/25. I have rebuild kits for those enough to last the remainder of my lifetime and the tools to work on them. I do need a couple of more Mk 17E kits maybe. As I am departing for the Red Sea this evening I have packed up the tools and kits to field repair my regulators plus brought along a spare second stage to support two sets of G250s on a Mk 2 Evo and Mk 17 Evo. Parts and tool commonality is very convenient, especially for second stages. I would be just as happy with Atomic save for the soft purge covers that turn to goo and the grease filling or Halcyon. As DGX and Deep Six brands mature I can see their appeal and appreciate their parts support.

If piston, I would rather large ambient ports for rinsing and please no Spec boots or messy grease fill that eventually is infiltrated with saltwater.

I am confused, is that not what I said using the Halo and G260 for comparison and the Halo is quite a bit less expensive? No big deal, I agree, the Halcyon regs are a fine deal and in no way would I feel badly about owning them except I would probably sub in a vintage G250 cover :wink:. It is certainly possible the H75 has been updated to Evo standards since I last looked one over. The H50 does not appear to be Evo as it does not have the same port arrangement as the Mark 17 Evo.

Changing subject a little. As to the demise of AL et al, well, I did try to order some parts through two LDS and they were unable to get the parts. They also told me they had great difficulty getting stock. I was able to get the needed parts through the usual source here on the board.

Hey, yes, you said they are less $. I quoted 3 of y'all at once. The other two said H is more expensive. I quoted you because of the statement that the H75P does not have EVO guts. I have not verified for myself. I was just TOLD that they are by a source that seemed very reliable. I.e. I *could* still be wrong.

I'm curious why such variety? My guess is that you took advantage of deals. Wouldn't any of these regs work just fine for any of these purposes? They're all great regs.

My thinking has been to have all my regs the same, to the extent possible, so I can swap things around, get them serviced at the same place (ideally, my own workbench), etc. Is my quest for uniformity silly?

Circumstances. No master plan.

I bought my Dive Rite XT1/XT2 regs when I first started tech diving. I wanted a dedicated set for doubles and they had a good reputation and were more affordable than other options.

Later, I was teaching at a shop where I could get ScubaPro at Key Man pricing (which made them VERY affordable). I had been constantly told (by the owners and other instructors at my shop) that the SP Mk25/G260 was the best breathing setup any of them had ever tried. Meanwhile, I went to SP Reg Tech training and they said their new S620Ti was their 2nd stage with the lowest WOB of breathing of all their regs. I wanted to try them and see for myself, so I bought a doubles set of each. I really preferred the G260, so I sold the S620Ti set to a student a while later. The DR regs became my deco cylinder regs.

Then I got access to a Huish dealer account. I'd read a lot of hype about Atomic regs and wanted to try them, to see how they compared to my SP regs. I bought a Z2 set for single tank and an M1 set for doubles. They were/are all awesome. And very affordable, compared to the ScubaPro regs. I only sold the Z2 set because I rarely dive single tank, except for teaching OW classes. And, now, I'm teaching for a shop that sells Halcyon but does not sell Huish stuff. So, I sold the Z2 set and bought a Halcyon set, just to be wearing what my shop sells when I'm teaching. I actually liked the Atomic Z2 set a lot better than I like my H75P/Halo set. I've had nothing but trouble with crap breathing on my Halcyon regs.

Most recently, I got back into diving sidemount. Mainly because I've got a shoulder that needs replacing, which makes me unable to reach the left post on my doubles. I still dive my doubles for some stuff, so I wanted another set of regs dedicated to sidemount. My shop recently became a Dive Rite dealer and we bought a couple of Choptimas. I was at Dive Rite HQ doing my crossover training on my Choptima and also wanted to try the new Dive Rite XT1/XT4 regs to see how they compare to all my others. So, I bought a set in their sidemount package config to use with my SM rig for OC SM and for when I'm diving the Chop.

Keeping them all dedicated to a specific purpose (e.g. BM doubles, or SM) and needing 3 bail out/deco regs for some dives means I really only currently have 1 "extra" reg - which is good to have as a ready spare. I was changing them around as needed for different purposes. But, it kept happening that I'd go to use something and the hoses were the wrong length or in the wrong ports or I was missing a hose or a port plug. I hate that kind of thing. I'm very fortunate to be able to afford it right now, so having a bunch of regs, each dedicated to a specific purpose just "works" for me.

Getting my own personal experience with so many different options, so I can formulate my own opinions is just a bonus. :)

Also, regarding Atomic and their environmental sealing and "messy" refills during service: I've had mine for 3 or 4 years now (can't remember for sure, but I think 4). I haven't needed to service them yet. When I do eventually service them, I am okay with one messy session and a few bucks to get them back to like new performance. It's worth it to me, versus the extra time and effort the Mk25/H75P need for post-ocean soaking/rinsing.

Hi, I'm looking to buy my first regulator. I'm still a noob diver (I just completed my GUE fundies), but I'd like to progress to ice-tech-cave diving.

My main requirements are
  1. Easy to self-service - I want to do the maintenance and run diagnostics myself.
    1. I want to stick to one brand for servicing, so I prefer a brand I can use for everything regulator-related (deco bottle, bailouts, side mounts, etc.)
  2. I can use it in a dual tank configuration, deep and cold water dives.
    1. Ideally, I would love something that can work with ice dives, but realistically I will be diving in Antarctica or under ice only a few times, so if I need something rated to -2 for one week, I could rent it.
  3. GUE/DIR compliant (does it require four ports?)

I was looking at a few good models:
  • Poseidon Xtream (LGTM, but I heard concerns about catastrophic failures or IP - are the concerns valid or BS?)
  • Mares Navy II - it would be good if it had five ports.
  • Apeks XL4 (but it's rated "only" up to 4C, so prob not good enough for ice dives) or XLX50 (rated up to 2C, probably good enough for 99% of the dives)
I also heard about HOG/Deep6 regulators, but I don't know how well they are suited to cold-water diving.

EDIT: more than the "one and last" regulator (sorry for the clickbait 😏), I'm trying to understand which ecosystem I should focus on. Especially if I try to service my gear, sticking to one manufacturer alone would make my life easier.
Money it's not a huge concern - I like the idea of sticking to one manufacturer and focusing on diving like we do with Apple 🍎😆

What regs would be easier to service by myself?

Some regs seem to have a wider "usable range" at, give or take, the same cost. E.g., the Poseidon Xtream would allow me to dive in ice-cold water at the same cost as a Scubapro MK25. Any downside that I'm missing?
Depending on where you are located, getting parts for the big brands could be like pulling teeth. And you will void any warranty.
HOG d3s or Deep Six signature tick all of your boxes. For less money than the others. I'd have no problem diving either under the ice. I have had my hogs under the ice and down to 160ft in 38 degree F water.

After my "incident" of two summers ago now I decided to upgrade and to standardize as much as possible. Thus I have been getting rid of everything that is not a G250 or G260 or Mk 2, Mk V, Mk 17E or Mk 20/25. I have rebuild kits for those enough to last the remainder of my lifetime and the tools to work on them. I do need a couple of more Mk 17E kits maybe. As I am departing for the Red Sea this evening I have packed up the tools and kits to field repair my regulators plus brought along a spare second stage to support two sets of G250s on a Mk 2 Evo and Mk 17 Evo. Parts and tool commonality is very convenient, especially for second stages. I would be just as happy with Atomic save for the soft purge covers that turn to goo and the grease filling or Halcyon. As DGX and Deep Six brands mature I can see their appeal and appreciate their parts support.

If piston, I would rather large ambient ports for rinsing and please no Spec boots or messy grease fill that eventually is infiltrated with saltwater.
I “upgraded” a few of my MK5’s by drilling out the SPEC holes so they would flush better, and just went to the open system. I’m going to experiment with a dremel and see if I can elongate the holes sideways a little for even better openess.
If I had to fill regs with grease I would find something else to use and service. That just seems like a huge mess and a tedious job to do right. I wouldn’t trust a shop to do it correctly either.
@rsingler would be the only one I would trust to properly pack a SPEC reg, and I’m sure he has better things to do then to work on my old crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom