First 2 Pool Sessions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easdem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello SB world!

I just got done with my first 2 pools sessions for the DM program. It was fun! I got 3 points on the 400 m swim...very close to 4 points...maybe I will try again later and go for 4. Got the full 5 on the float.

We worked on a few demo skills, Mask remove and replace, regulator clears, equipment set up and break down, don/doff and deep water entry giant stride. It is a lot harder to remember all the critical steps in perfect sequence than I expected. It is especially hard for me to do the mask remove and replace in the 3.5 ft section of the pool, especially when I spent so much time getting good on horizontal trim, now to kneel perfectly vertical is a challenge. Any tips?

This program will be a challenge but I am very exited for it and I look forward to continue and polish my demo skills.

I will keep ya'll posted...

When I was going thru the DM course I had the same issue. I put an extra 2lbs in my trim pockets and that helped. Also I was very slow on my exhale and only inhaled about half way. After practice I have since gone back to normal weight and breathing but that little cheat made me more comfortable doing the skills to demonstration quality under the pressure of the Course Director and PADI Instructor Examiners ever watchful gaze. Good Luck.

My instructor suggested the same thing. Thanks!

As a DM you will be demonstrating skills to open water divers and they teach you to do that on your knees. While on your knees you dont have to worry about buoyancy which is a big problem among OW divers. I like to do all my skills hovering in a horizontal trim thou working with kids and new divers I always go back to the knee plant thing. It is easier for them and less stressful for you.

Skills do not have to be done on the knees, although your instructor may insist on it and has the right to. Many instructors do the initial skills in a horizontal, prone position, buoyant enough to take the chest off the floor. There will be an article on that in the next issue of the PADI professional publication, the Undersea Journal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom