Fire Coral sting, two weeks later redness comes back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Two weeks ago I got a mild what appears to be fire coral sting on my fingers. The initial sting was a burning sensation for about five hours with the pain of about the same feeling of a 1st degree burn. The site became slightly swelled and red. After a couple of days the pain and redness went away. However, yesterday the fingers became itchy and the area swelled up slightly and became red. There is little pain.

Is this normal? Is there anything I should be doing to relieve the swelling and itching?

I got nailed a couple of months ago with fire coral and it sucked. I had a similar experience. It seemed to clear up, then a week or so later, I got much worse. I was very surprised how long it lasted. Overall, it was over a month before it fully cleared up.

I tried all of the otc creams, gels, sprays. The best thing was just keeping moisturizer on it.

Good luck!

There can apparently be a fairly intense immune response to fire coral stings, that can relapse and remit for weeks.

It's not possible for me to rule out infection over the internet, but if your symptoms are mainly itching, infection is much less likely. Topical steroids might help with the redness and itching. They are contraindicated in infection.

I got pushed into fire coral and had the normal reaction like everyone else. But now a year later the pain in the area is getting worse. What can be causing this and who do i go see about it?? any suggestions would be lovely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom