Fire Coral in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCDinNC

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there fire coral in the Keys? I just got back from Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago, and had there my first brush with fire coral. CRAP! Never even knew what it looked like before, but you can bet I spot it right off now! I guess I'll have scars there; definitely not a cool experience. I have dived the Keys several times, but don't know if I've seen it there or not. Is it there?

There is plenty of fire coral in the Keys...all sorts of varieties...Leafy, encrusting etc. Yoou can best ID it by it's mustard like color.

Also, all coral can sting...just fire coral has the worst bite to it

Joe

PS: On my Avatar encrusting fire coral is in the lower right and leafy of the upper left

Fire coral in the Keys? Oh yeah. Tons of it.

Rachel

That's where I learned what it looked like... the hard way...

Scuba_Dad:
That's where I learned what it looked like... the hard way...

Yeah, I didn't know what it looked like, until it reached out and grabbed me (That may be streching it...) in Cayman. I made SURE to memorize what it looked like then. I take it there are other types. But at least I know what type got me, and I spot it real quickly.

Yeah I found it the hard way in Pennekamp park in 89. That's a lesson you only have to be shown once.

Chris

Now you know why I dive with full-length wetsuits in and around coral...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom