Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you plan to dive down to 300' on CCR, what would be your diluent gas composition?
This is not a question for this kind of thread - by all means, dig the information elsewhere - it is readily available. Here is not the place.

As for all the talk over missing tank of air etc, stop speculating people! There are numerous legitimate reasons why this may have not been on her person when she was found - if that is even true at all! Nobody here definitively knows what her planned profile even was.

Cut the speculation until all the known, determinable facts have come out then fill the holes. Doing otherwise is an insult to the person lost and of no real benefit.

I remember meeting Fi in Bali when I was there for a week doing a course. Having her there made for a week of interesting conversation, debate, discussion, and laughs every evening. I was looking forward to a trip in the Solomons next year which she was to be part of - sadly now she will not make it.

Have some consideration.

This is not a question for this kind of thread - by all means, dig the information elsewhere - it is readily available. Here is not the place.

As for all the talk over missing tank of air etc, stop speculating people! There are numerous legitimate reasons why this may have not been on her person when she was found - if that is even true at all! Nobody here definitively knows what her planned profile even was.

Cut the speculation until all the known, determinable facts have come out then fill the holes. Doing otherwise is an insult to the person lost and of no real benefit.

I remember meeting Fi in Bali when I was there for a week doing a course. Having her there made for a week of interesting conversation, debate, discussion, and laughs every evening. I was looking forward to a trip in the Solomons next year which she was to be part of - sadly now she will not make it.

Have some consideration.
No. Tursiops was there diving when she was diving and has relayed some pretty pertinent information that I would trust over some journalist writing an article hundreds of miles away.

This A&I forum loses its appeal for brainstorming scuba related safety issues when people come in here and start telling others what to post. My post does not violate the ToS and no one is trying to insult the departed. It's an accident forum where we discuss accidents and solutions. These discussions often include speculation and as long as it's relevant to the accident it is perfectly acceptable. And especially when the poster points out it is speculation, as I did. So no. I will continue to contribute the way I always have in this sub forum. We should not be playing favoritism or special rules for only certain victims.

No. Tursiops was there diving when she was diving and has relayed some pretty pertinent information that I would trust over some journalist writing an article hundreds of miles away.

This A&I forum loses its appeal for brainstorming scuba related safety issues when people come in here and start telling others what to post. My post does not violate the ToS and no one is trying to insult the departed. It's an accident forum where we discuss accidents and solutions. These discussions often include speculation and as long as it's relevant to the accident it is perfectly acceptable. And especially when the poster points out it is speculation, as I did. So no. I will continue to contribute the way I always have in this sub forum. We should not be playing favoritism or special rules for only certain victims.

You're missing the point. Just because posts are not violating the ToS, or because they follow the standard direction of content in this forum does not necessarily make anything right. Nor am I doing as you state and asking for different treatment for some over others. Nothing of the sort.

This will be my last post here.

If you plan to dive down to 300' on CCR, what would be your diluent gas composition?

Not going into detail on specific gas mix for that depth on CCR, but it would be a hypoxic tri-mix. What’s critical to understand, is that it would be unsafe to breathe at the surface, without the addition of o2, from the breather to keep the Po2 safe to breath. Totally irrelevant to this situation, as diving a hypoxic mix has its own set to benefits and risks.

Tursiops gave us very reliable information that she was using air dil. That is a huge issue, and even if it turns out not to have caused this death, it's totally relevant to the discussion. For the non-rebreather divers trying to learn from this thread, it's crucial for them to understand why that would be such an inappropriate choice. It's about as on-topic as you can get, given the current facts that we have.

Cut the speculation until all the known, determinable facts have come out then fill the holes.

For the majority of accidents discussed in these threads, we don't ever get all the facts. The whole point of the A&I forum is speculation. You may find that distasteful, but that's what it's for. And it helps us learn from more experienced divers. And that learning saves lives, even if the scenario discussed doesn't turn out to be what happens. Like I said, this isn't a legal deposition. it's a learning opportunity.

Doing otherwise is an insult to the person lost

I disagree

and of no real benefit.

I disagree

There's a sticky in this forum which is very relevant to this thread (IMO). Here's how it starts ... and thank you @bowlofpetunias

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 5.24.08 pm.png

For whatever it is worth, I have been enjoying my diving a lot more since I went CCR. My photography has improved as well. I mean, I'm not saying that John should get a rebreather, but I don't think that it sucks all the fun out of diving.

I fly planes for work and fun. Flying IFR without autopilot requires way more attention than any rebreather dive I did till now and it still is fun.
Back on topic, I saw nothing about the dynamic of the accident and, additionally, if she was solo, not a chance of anybody witnessing the events.

Any chance that the reb will be analyzed?

The way you select a mix for such a dive is ensure you can drop the ppO2 of the loop during a flush, which means a dil ppO2 at target depth of about 1 bar and the target END to select the proper fHe.
In a dive like the one reported I would have selected 8/70 It also depends upon my offboard bailout which I can plug in the loop as an offboard dil.

I am wondering if it is known what was in the s40s: she might have had different gases. In such profiles I have multiple gases which I have programmed in my computers and I have the flexibility to plug all in the loop. But for that depth I bring down 3 s80 (10/60 30/30 50/20) and a s40 100% oxygen (also pluggable in the loop). So she was not self sufficient for a 100 mt dive IMHO no matter what bottom time she planned. Especially because she could not descend fast.

This kind of diving is way beyond my risk acceptability level (no solo below normoxic range). Below 80 m I want a team (3 better than 2) one with the issue one helping and one managing depth, deco and gases.

My 2c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom