Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anybody have any more info about Fiona Sharp being found unresponsive on the reef? Deep solo dive, found on top of the reef unresponsive with the loop out of her mouth.

No, but very sad to hear of her passing. Condolences to her family, friends and all that knew her in the diving community.

As described in other places, she was quite the character and the life of any party. She will be missed.

I genuinely understand the desire to learn from accidents and fatal dives. I absolutely get it. I know it is a valuable learning tool. BUT it has been less than 24 hours since Fiona died, and this request for information at this time feels almost ghoulish. Please give a little time. No doubt the facts will come out.

As with all deaths, the person lost will be missed. I all too often see requests from divers wanting to know the full SP just a handful of hours after a fatality. And frankly it comes across quite badly and does not reflect well on us a community. (Remember family and friends who may or may not be divers will look for news about their loved one and can end up reading our words on here). Let the news of a person's death reach those who knew them, and give them a little time to come to terms with it, before going into full analysis.

Fiona was vibrant, and brimmed with life and vigour. Several of us are sharing stories of her off line.

So please, just wait. And the facts will come in time.

So many years ago I was enrolled in basic anatomy class. On the wall behind the professors lectern in large printing was the following statement which I have never forgotten after so many years
~~~~ "We learn from the dead : Virchow" ~~~~
Our professor who was one of the all time greats gave a very moving lecture about the treating of the deceased with great respect and dignity as you would a dear friend who had passed away.

There will many present and future comments made by the members of the diving community
Some will be from local divers others from distant places; some will be comforting others painful to read but the diving community all need to learn so the same mistakes are never ever repeated .
Divers every where, young - old experienced and beginners will always need to search for answers and always have question when ? where ? and always why ?

I extend to the family of Dr. Sharpe my most sincere heart felt condolences on their great loss .
A great diver who contributed so much and had so much to contribute whose life was cut short all to soon-- She will be missed

Dr, Samuel Miller, 111

Divers every where, young - old experienced and beginners will always need to search for answers and always have question when ? where ? and always why ?
Precisely. None of us want to be 'next'. It's not ghoulish: it's survival. When a noob dies, we shake our collective heads, cite the need for better training, honoring their limits and/or hubris. The ocean is a harsh mistress and doesn't suffer fools. But, when an experienced diver dies, it gives us a certain pause. "If they aren't safe,then who is?" Here in cave country, we are often chastised for wanting to know what happened. They claim it's not our right to know and they always couch simple reasonable requests as demanding answers right this instant. This is not the same as rubbernecking at an accident. Not even close. We want to know how and why our heroes die. So, as Sam so aptly pointed out, we might possibly avoid the same mistake.

Back
Top Bottom