Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoke to one of the staff who brought her up. She had just one 40 on her, on the right side. Separate info, which is second-hand info, was that the two 40s were air and 80%. If so, presumably the 80% was on the right/rich side, suggesting the 40 of air was somehow lost. Most confusing. Something clearly went wrong.

Agree,,,Seen alot of OC divers do a 'touchdown' dive to 200 just so they could take a picture of their computer and post it. They say it's the '200 Club', teeshirts too.
i wonder if they feel silly after more diving

Spoke to one of the staff who brought her up. She had just one 40 on her, on the right side. Separate info, which is second-hand info, was that the two 40s were air and 80%. If so, presumably the 80% was on the right/rich side, suggesting the 40 of air was somehow lost. Most confusing. Something clearly went wrong.
many possible scenarios we may never know -so sad

If she was suicidal, why would she come back up to 90 feet or so? There were now a few references to suicide, I'm unsure if this is to be taken literally or figuratively?

If she was suicidal, why would she come back up to 90 feet or so? There were now a few references to suicide, I'm unsure if this is to be taken literally or figuratively?

That same thought occurred to me and I concluded that she couldn't. Unless she changed her mind and was booking it for the surface.

Even if the computer does show 300' max depth it doesnt mean that was the planned depth.

This is the key point. All the questions about setup, let alone speculation about other stuff, is pretty pointless and premature until this is figured out.

Reactions: Jay
I would be shocked if someone as experienced as she was would truly plan a ccr dive to 300’ on air. It makes zero sense. Her work of breathing that mix would be 14g. Recommended max Is 6. Her pO2 would be over 2. I get that she could breathe down her O2 so it would be less toxic but her wob would still be high. I could do a 300’ dive with 2 80s only if I have O2 hung. There is no way she could do it with only 2 40s.

I have no issues solo diving on a Rebreather. But on air, with just 2 40s I hope it isn’t true that was her intention.

Condolences to her family.

The missing 40 is concerning and may explain the deep dive. Perhaps it was dropped and an attempt to retrieve it was made. Assuming the info we have so far is correct and data was gathered from her computer. That would be a plausible explanation and unfortunately unless she was recording her dive with a camera, we'll never know. Nevertheless, and of course my aforementioned hypothesis is purely speculation, but how many times have we seen such a minor lapse in judgement for the CCR diver cost them their life? Like the guy who was waiting in the water for his buddy, saw some mussels on the mooring line and said he was just going to drop down to grab a few real quick. Forgetting to turn on his o2, went hypoxic and died.

Back
Top Bottom