• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by JohnnyC, Oct 18, 2019.

1. fsardone

fsardone Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Exactly, and that is the reason why I dump from the nose. It clears my mask if needed, it is dumping used gas it does not require to use hands and it is done instinctively.
    Concerning dump valve, mileage varies. My unit, for example, has two: one for each counterlung so I can choose (provided I have both hands free) which one to use, but both the Oxy MAV inlet and the solenoid are downstream from the closest dump valve. Those are used when I ascend OC for training ...

taimen, InTheDrink and RainPilot like this.
  2. skippy311

skippy311 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Thanks for the translation and sorry for the hassle.

RainPilot and Dan like this.
  3. Dan

Dan Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    :)

No hassle. I was curious about it myself.

RainPilot likes this.
  4. InTheDrink

InTheDrink DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I’m not trying to be facetious but a PPO2 of 2.0 over a reasonable period is fine in a healthy person. I wouldn’t recommend it tho.

I’d be extremely surprised if this was the COD.

Bad cells could be a contributing factor but given her experience I’d be surprised that she would knowingly dive at more than 1.3.

Bad scrubber sounds more plausible and a CO2 hit. Also IPE/NPEE.

I’d guess - just guess - it was breakthrough or/and a medical event. Hypoxia doesn’t square up given her experience. Hyperoxia equally does not add up unless cells were ******.

CCRs are machines. They break. People always blame it on pilot error.

That’s a facile and unacceptable analysis.

RIP.

5. Peter69_56

Peter69_56 Divemaster

My breather adds gas as you said, under the inhale side canister, via a solenoid and via the DIL valve. However if I manually add gas, DIL or Oxygen, it goes into the loop via a port on the loop relief valve. I would have expected it to have a tube directing it to the same place where the O2 solenoid is, but it doesn't. It simply stops at the inlet port on the loop relief valve, thus if I have a high loop volume when ascending and I don't dump some gas before adding oxygen, the oxygen simply exhausts out via the loop relief valve when the dump pressure is made. I think a poor design, however as I am aware of it I always ensure I vent the loop before adding oxygen on ascent. Something normally done anyway, but in my mind a poor design and something easily fixed. Adding a tube running down to the centre of the loop under the canister would ensure, that even if I didn't dump gas prior to injecting oxygen, I would at least not lose the injected oxygen. Something I am working on (trying to get the right fittings).

6. lermontov

lermontov Manta Ray

wouldn't exhaling through the nose short circuit that so the OPV isnt activated

7. lermontov

lermontov Manta Ray

so given the analysis of ccr related deaths what % are machine breakdown versus human error

8. InTheDrink

InTheDrink DIR Practitioner

There was a reason Cousteau created OC.

Full facts?

You’ll find exactly none.

Cell disagreement you could find plenty.

IPE/NPE because of loop vol or ADV likewise.

Overbreathing an eCCR never mind break though.

Three Hs.

Yep all pilot error except OC has anecdotally (as we don’t have proper facts) is about 90% lower.

But let’s just call all it pilot error.

I’m sure that will fix things for extremely experienced pilots.

9. Peter69_56

Peter69_56 Divemaster

Yes thats what I do, but my point being to highlight a flaw where one can lose a lot of oxygen trying to manually raise PPO2 in ascent if it isnt done properly. Something like this in a panic or less than ideal situation could cause a low PPO2 and blackout. Not with all breathers but in some. For it to happen to me, my solenoid would have had to fail or flat controller battery thus firing on manual, and not venting gas before injecting oxygen manually, and not monitoring at my PPO2 could lead to blackout.

So it is a possibility to ascend and have a hypoxic mix under some circumstances.

10. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

It's not that simple. There is almost always multiple things going on simultaneously in a CCR fatality. Distracted diver, small broken thing, weak feedback loop that there's a small problem then turns into a big problem, buddy looks away, and all the issues seem to magically align and the diver dies. Was it the broken thing? The moment of distraction? the inattentive buddy? poor training? a design weakness in that particular unit? Often its a little bit of each.