Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MM Diver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I dive in the West Palm Beach Florida area where the current is very strong. I currently use Super Rocket fins which are very stiff. Can anyone suggest a fin in which I can dive in my area, drift diving but able to cut across the current when needed.

ScubaPro Jet Fins, hands down.

I have many pairs of Freediving fins I would be willing to let you demo...and you could get any of these from the Florida Freedivers shop....
Much of choosing the best fin for you, is about how fit your are, and in how good you are at changing the "shape" of your kick--with freedive fins, this is essentially a way to CHANGE GEARS...
I have some Carbon fiber Mustang C-4 fins...these are soft, and easy to kick...very high end....some DiveR's, which are the fastest, but also require significant cycling type fitness for the effort to feel non-existent....and several in between...
I also have Scubapro Jet Fins and Hollis F1's, and Force fin Excellerators....which when you try the 3 of these, I expect you would favor for their higher tech performance.....

What size feet do you have? We could do this at BHB, and at the current change before high tide, you will get a great sense of how each does at going "cross current", up current, with current, etc. :)

You should demo fins!!

I believe that finning is largely dependent on technique and strength. Until recently, I used old Aqua Lung Caravelle fins and was always able to keep up or surpass my companions. I relatively recently switched to Dive Rite fins and find that my effort is slightly less than previously. The caveat is that I was a competive swimmer from an early age and have kept in reasonable condition. I could easily go back to my Aqua Lung fins today and do just fine. I think the physics of moving water is relatively straightforward

For what it's worth, Craig

Last edited:
I dove off Pompano Beach Wednesday and Thursday using my Twin Jets. Real easy effort, even when the currents got strong.

Jet fins are my, as well as many other forum goers, favorite style of fin. I'm from Ft. Lauderdale, and I've done a decent number of drifts with my jets and love them. However, I used to use Apollo split fins, and these never really caused me any problems with the current. Personally, it comes down to trying on a bunch of fins and finding your favorite. I chose jets for extra maneuverability as well as increased frog kick ability. Find your favorite finning style and pick a fin to match it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom