Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am sure this has been asked before, and am just not seeing it, so I'll ask again. I currently dive with Atomic Aquatic split fins. While they are comfortable, and I don't get any cramps or fatigue using these, I feel that they may be a little slow in the water. Any reccomendations on a good set of fins, that will provide better spedd, without sacrificing comfort, or cramps?

You'll probably get more results asking this question in the mask and fins forum: Fins, Masks and Snorkels - ScubaBoard

That said, I used to get terrible foot and leg cramps until I learned the problem wasn't the fins, it was my kicking. Learning a proper frog kick has all but eliminated my cramps.

just upgraded from 10 yr old scubapro black bricks to the aqualung slingshot---absolutely amazing!! Highly recommend

Do you just feel slow, or do you have trouble keeping up with others. I use split fins as well and never really feel like I'm getting a lot of power, but my buddies (who use split and paddle) usually can't keep up with me when we swim hard back in on the shore dives.

You may want to try asking your question in the fins forum -

Fins, Masks and Snorkels - ScubaBoard

I've read good things about Apollo Bio fins which are also split fins. My next pair will probably be Aqua Lung Slingshots which are paddles, but you can adjusted the stiffness.

many of our divers wear the Aqualung Slingshots. They seem to be very popular and have multiple settings for different conditions or applications. I would check them out.

I find ScubaPro jet fins comfortable and allow a great deal of thrust. If you can try them, you should.

I did also just post in the fin and mask section. Basically swimming out from the shore on surface, I am the slowest. My current fins seem ok in the water and keep up with others, until the current kicks in, and I have to fight much harder.

I did also just post in the fin and mask section. Basically swimming out from the shore on surface, I am the slowest. My current fins seem ok in the water and keep up with others, until the current kicks in, and I have to fight much harder.

I find the splits don't work nearly as well on the surface (snorkeling and such). As far as the surface swims go, as long as you keep them completey submerged while you are kicking you should get enough power. You don't get the thurst if you are kicking/splashing a lot on top of the water.

just go for the slingshots--you can get them for $130.. You won't go wrong especially for shore dives where you have the surface swim--that is what sets great fins apart from good ones..

I have Mares "Race" fins.
I am primarily a shore diver and they serve me well.
Three of my regular buddies wear them as well.
They are a "Full Foot" fin though, and some people simply do not like them.
There are a few shops that will let you try out the fins, or buy them, use them carefully, no damage, and return them if you do not like them for a refund.
Chug
Has racing fins....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom