Fins Stuck on Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am new to Dry Suit diving. When I come back to the boat my large open heel fin is so snug on my drysuit boat I can't get it off making it difficult to get on the ladder. Any suggestions?

Doug

You probably don't want to hear this, but...the most obvious solution is to get some fins with a slightly larger foot pocket.

Finding a drysuit boot + fin combination that works is not a trivial task. There's no substitute for taking your drysuit boots to a local shop and shoving them into the foot pockets of various fins. Paddle fins that work well with rather large drysuit rockboots include: Scubapro Jetfins, XS Scuba Turtle fins, Hollis F1 fins, and OMS Slipstreams. I'm not as familiar with the splitfins that work with drysuit boots. They are out there, though.

If the fin foot pocket lacks drainage holes, it's possible that suction is being created when you jam your boot into the foot pocket. Drilling some drainage holes in the foot pocket might be helpful in this case. Some divers have had moderate success with spraying some silicone spray inside the foot pocket to make it easier to remove the fins at the end of the dive.

Could you tell us which brand/model fins and drysuit boots (attached or separate) you are currently using?

Sad to say but when I bought the White Evo's for my drysuit, I had to get XXL jets. There is no way I could have gotten my feet into the fins I wear with my wet boots.

Large fins and I wipe on silicon lub on my boots before the dive...never had an issue with sticking fins

Yep, had the same problem here once I got my drysuit. My aqualung recreational fins would barely fit into my drysuit boot and made for a ten minute exercise to get them removed before I could board the boat. I wear a large fin and ended up going with an XL size which was fine. There wasn't anyway I could've avoided it looking back on it as the drysuit I went with didn't have a local demo available to try on.

So I ended up with a new pair of XL, Hollis F1's. Love them and they added a little weight to the ankles and they gave me more thrust through the water to offset the drysuit drag.

Best of luck in solving your issue, that's how I solved mine.

Same easy solution as Scareface --just get a pump spray bottle of silicon lubricant and apply to either the drysuit boot or fin footpocket.

larger fin or weight loss of the ???foot...

Last edited:
I am new to Dry Suit diving. When I come back to the boat my large open heel fin is so snug on my drysuit boat I can't get it off making it difficult to get on the ladder. Any suggestions?

Doug

Grab the line hanging off the back of the boat and have your buddy grab your ankle in one hand, the fin in the other and pull. That's what buddies are for. :D

Then put your fins on your wrists, pull yourself to the ladder and get back on the boat.

Terry

If they are that tight, doesn't that hurt your feet? I tried my XL jets with my Evo boots. I could get the boots in, but it was tight and was putting pressure on my toes.

Just a small squirt in each fin pocket of the silcone pump will do the trick. Be sure not to put too much or the fins can actually come off when entering the water, such as a giant stride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom