Fins Stuck on Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Large fins and I wipe on silicon lub on my boots before the dive...never had an issue with sticking fins

Leave your fins on, before you die. Get the right size stuff. I wipe silicon lub on my bum before I dive. Don't you all have enough sxxt to do gearing up. Pump up yor tires.

Leave your fins on, before you die. Get the right size stuff. I wipe silicon lub on my bum before I dive. Don't you all have enough sxxt to do gearing up. Pump up yor tires.

what are you going on about...

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have a USIA Dry Suit with attached boats. My fins are Atomic Aquatics Split Fins. These are new at about $175. Ouch. Buying new fins at this point could be terms for a divorce. Maybe I'll forget the fins and go with webbed gloves. HA HA. I have tried foot weight loss although my feet are pretty buff. They do toe curls, foot taps, ankle rotations, heel raises etc but no real weight loss there.

Seriously, I will try the silicone wipe first. Unfortunately I don't have a buddy and get put with different people everytime and they usually have few hours diving (I have been diving since 1971).

At any rate thanks again all.

Doug

What silicon lube do you use? Brand?

Where do you buy it?

One trick I use to get off sticky fins is I grab the tip bend the fin a little and they release.

One trick I use to get off sticky fins is I grab the tip bend the fin a little and they release.

Real old school but probably the best tip of this thread!

Be real careful using silicone. A missed spray onto the deck or a bit too much on the bottom of the foot can spell disaster on a moving boat.

I just tried McNett Silicon Spray on the inside of my fin pockets this weekend and it worked like magic. Instead of yanking on my fins twisting my knees the fins slid off without effort.

I highly recommend McNett Silicon Spray aerosol.

Excellent!

One of my old drysuits had slightly heavier boots and I had the same problem w/ my jetfins. The fins were just snug enough to the sides of the boot that it was a pain in the ass wrestling them off hanging onto a ladder or trail line and sizing up the fins made them too sloppy for my liking. I like my s%#t tight.:D

I never used the spray but sparingly wiped silicone paste onto the sides of the footpocket . (Not the bottom where it will transfer to the soles of your boots)
It worked really well and lasted around 4 or 5 dives before they'd get sticky again.

I never used the spray but sparingly wiped silicone paste onto the sides of the footpocket . (Not the bottom where it will transfer to the soles of your boots)
It worked really well and lasted around 4 or 5 dives before they'd get sticky again.

WAY smarter than spray! A spray can is pretty indiscriminate as to where in the foot pocket it hits. I have seen way too many divers hurt by silicone spray on the deck (or the bottoms of boots) over the years.

Drill a couple of small (1/4") holes in the bottom of each foot pocket, this will end the suction, put a cloth tab on your strap so that it's easy to grab with a gloved hand.

Drill a couple of small (1/4") holes in the bottom of each foot pocket, this will end the suction, put a cloth tab on your strap so that it's easy to grab with a gloved hand.

The small holes can go either on the fin foot pocket or the dry suit foot pocket - either will ease the suction:rofl3:

Sorry, couldn't resist

Back
Top Bottom