Fins for scientific diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mares Avanti Quattro. Or OMS Slipstreams.

Scientific diving over a reef is going to be all about precision, and multiple kicking techniques. Avoid the splits and stick with a paddle fin, which is slower but which has superior maneuverability by comparison. I'd recommend Jet fins, which are inexpensive and last forever, but they're heavy enough that they may be too tough on your ankles.

I would advice against Atomic Splits. Nice fin for speed and a short-stroke flutter kick, and I can frog kick in them ok. But for me they're just too long and cumbersome for fine control.

Just one data point.

Henrik

Thanks or the feedback everyone. I've got a good idea of what to look at now. I have a feeling that eventually I'm going to end up with 5 pairs of fins to suit my mood. :)

I also became AAUS certified when I worked in the ocean sciences. During the AAUS training we used dry suits for diving in not-so clean water like Tampa Bay. Do you think you may be doing some future diving in a dry suit? I have not been in a dry suit since then (this was back in 1993) and I don't know what the norm is today but we wore sneakers under the dry suit which required an extra large open heeled fin... much larger than what you would require with just regular dive boots. We used Scubapro Jets (not splits... the old classic style)
Hope this helps.
-Chris

I am teaching a research diver class this month. I find the best fins are the simple padle fins (i.e. Jet, Rocket, Turtle). I would recomend you try a set of Scubapro Rocket fins because they run narrow and small. You can usually pick up a set cheep on ebay, or through the clasified ads. Try them on at your local dive shop and buy them used.

The stiffer fin is better for holding your position than any other type. The Blades are hard to back kick or scull with and any type of split fin is only good for strait line travel.

By the way, where are you getting your training?

vladimir:
PM Thallassamania; he invented scientific diving.:D
Far from it, I've had the pleasure of being able to work with and stand on the shoulders of some of those who did, people like Jim Stewart, Lloyd Austin, Glen Egstrom, Walt Hendricks Sr., Lee Somers, and John Duffy.

As far as fins go: Jets, rockets, turtles are "group 1." Quattros and similar are "group 2." Splits are "group 3." Force fins and similar are "group 4." Lower group number is likely better, because it is more likely that is what is used by the staff and they will be better able to teach you. In point of fact I've seen all of the fins above used successfully.

Thalassamania:
Far from it, I've had the pleasure of being able to work with and stand on the shoulders of some of those who did, people like Jim Stewart, Lloyd Austin, Glen Egstrom, Walt Hendricks Sr., Lee Somers, and John Duffy.

As far as fins go: Jets, rockets, turtles are "group 1." Quattros and similar are "group 2." Splits are "group 3." Force fins and similar are "group 4." Lower group number is likely better, because it is more likely that is what is used by the staff and they will be better able to teach you. In point of fact I've seen all of the fins above used successfully.

Thalassmania seems to be right on the money on this one.

There is a bias (or preference if you will) in much of the scientific diving community toward group 1. This bias exists, in part, because these are the fins that research divers have always used and conservative traditions are hard to overcome (California research divers using horsecollars or no b.c. well into the 1980s) and in part because these fins work well under most conditions that research divers will be expected to encounter. They also offer simplicity and standardization, great qualitities when the nearest source of supply for a broken strap or buckle is a continent or so away.

My pegboard contains a variety of fins from group 1, 2, and 3. I am not big on Force Fins for a number of reasons, but that is a personal preference.

Figure out what works best for you and use it. But if you have to ask "which fin is best" have you considered that you may not have the level of experience necessary to undertake scientific diving?

Back
Top Bottom