Fins for my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

builder2000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife has just enrolled to get her open water certification. Can anyone recommend some good fins for a woman 5'4" 125 LB athletic. I am looking for a medium priced product so that I dont end up spending a bundle at the local dive shop. We live in NY so she will probably wear them with 7mm booties. Also any comments / sugestions on any masks for her.
Thank you

builder2000:
. I am looking for a medium priced product so that I dont end up spending a bundle at the local dive shop.
Thank you

"medium priced" meaning what? (give me a range)
Just off the bat though I would tell you to check out leisurepro.com for mask and fins. They have excellent prices for gear.

Take her to a shop and have her try on a mask, she really should do the same with fins but you can usually get by with fins that don't fit as well as they should.

I like the Mares Quattros or something similar. Check out ScubaToys (link in my sig line). They are an authorized dealer and will meet or beat anyone's price. You'll pay shipping, but no tax. Also no hassle if you need to exchange something.

The most important thing for fitting fins is the boot they will go with. The two have to fit together so you don't get foot/leg cramping. If you give me a price range I can give you some ideas and we can match a boot to the fin. If you're looking for under $100, we have the award winning Aeris Velocity Open Heel fin for $74.95 or the new Aeris Mako (great reviews) for $69.95. They are a fantastic fin. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.crazyscuba.com/cat_adjustable.cfm

Britt :fish:
:fish:

I think she should go to the LDS and try some on with her booties and try them in a pool if possible. It's very hard to buy gear for another person. That being said, the Tusa X-Pert Zoom is a moderately priced blade fin that many women like.

TheRedHead:
I think she should go to the LDS and try some on with her booties and try them in a pool if possible. It's very hard to buy gear for another person. That being said, the Tusa X-Pert Zoom is a moderately priced blade fin that many women like.

That's a split fin...the tri-ex is a blade fin

Sdiver2489:
That's a split fin...the tri-ex is a blade fin

My bad. I have a pair of them and can't remember their name. :blush:

I use Jetfins now ($10 on ebay), but that is really a personal preference. Buying for the wife is tricky. :wink:

my wife snorkels with Avanti Quattros and loves them. Big fin, lots of power and she is not athletic and does not have a problem.

Hey, I live in NY too. Queens NYC to be exact. If you live anywhere near Manhattan, take a trip to Leisure Pro. Fins and especially masks, fit is super important. You really want to try things on before buying.

Leisure Pro, in addition to being cheap, has a very big selection. The staff there might not be the most helpful, but then again, how much help do you really need.

When it comes to masks, fit, fit and fit. Look up at the ceiling, lay the mask on your face without using the strap and check for gaps. Ideally, there will be no gaps. After that, it's a matter of 1 window or 2, big volume or low volume.

For reasonably priced open heel fins look at the Aeris Velocity, Mares Plana Avanti X3, Oceanic Vector. Select your boots, then try on the fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom