Fins for my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for having a few girls try them on and use them in our dive center, clearly the "cressi Rondine" A or Reaction... sharm, powerful, but will get rid of the cramps feeling...

one thing for sure, avoid the split fins if you have to go into current :) specially if you are one prone to cramps with a little effort.

I'd say it depends on what kind of athletic your wife is. I have been a swimmer all my life, thus have an extremely strong kick. Split fins feel floppy on my feet and it is uncomfortable for me to shorten and modify my kick to use them effectively. Much to the surprise of my LDS, once I tried Jets, I immediately knew I had found MY fins. They are a broad, stiff paddle fin that respond well to all kinds of kicks, particularly the frog kick. However, the Jetfin isn't for everyone...there are many folks who say they cause immediate cramping. And like TS&M said, they are heavy and referred to as "bricks" by many. :wink:

It really is important that not only does your wife try on the fins before you buy, but also try them out in the water. If you have an LDS with a pool, ask to try out a bunch of different styles and types in the water, then buy the one she is most comfortable with.

I will echo the "avoid split fins" comments. I have seen several students who insisted on split fins have difficulty with them. Get a pair of blade/paddle type, open heel fins with a foot pocket that doesn't have pressure points.

Considering that she is brand spanking new to diving (I assume if she just enrolled for her OW cert) I would suggest Mares Avanti Plana. They are (if I recall...) significantly cheaper than the Mares Avanti Quattros (if I'm naming it wrong, forgive me- I don't have a pair to check the name against!). The Planas have 2 channels instead of 4 which the Quattros have (again, forgive me if my memory is wrong). At this stage, she doesn't need the ultra best propulsion she can get... it ain't going to matter until she gets "good."

I got certified in '02 and bought the Planas. I wear them now and unless I drop one off the deep end of the quarry I have no plans to replace them.

If I recall correctly, they were about $70 as compared to $140 for the Quattros.

And the mask... pink. Definitely...

The first mask I bought I did try on. I bought it because it was one that had a nose purge and I liked the way it looked better than "regular" masks. Alas, I bought it at a Sport Chalet who was more interested in selling me something than making sure I bought the right thing. I didn't try it with a regulator in my mouth and didn't find out until I did my OW dives that I couldn't get my fingers to my nose to equalize. The mask fit but this whole "equalizing" thing didn't work so well. I would still use the mask as a backup if I needed to, but I ended up buying another mask that both FIT and was PRACTICAL.

I don't know what prices are where you are but around here (okay, okay, four years ago) they were $50- $60 across the board no matter what mask you wanted(and it's a small board at a small dive shop).

I did buy the pink one, though. If all else is equal, a little color can be fun!

You should see my snorkel...

This is me with my mask and snorkel. Those are not my fins- I'm holding someone else's. Mine are Mares Plana Avanti and they are yellow!

Yes, I know, stunning! What can I say- I was just MADE to wear a mask... let the snide comments begin...

12-8-20043-27.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom