Fins for diving in a current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just did a search on the inlet, and there is a palm Beach Harbor Piot site where this comes from:
" During conditions of strong northeasterly winds and/or large northeasterly swells, a strong southerly current of 6 knots or more can develop, and run across the inlet entrance. Extreme caution is advised when entering or departing under these conditions, especially at night, when gauging the direction and strength of the current is very difficult."
In any event, this is an inlet that can develop nice fast currents to practice skills in.

Just did a search on the inlet, and there is a palm Beach Harbor Piot site where this comes from:
" During conditions of strong northeasterly winds and/or large northeasterly swells, a strong southerly current of 6 knots or more can develop, and run across the inlet entrance. Extreme caution is advised when entering or departing under these conditions, especially at night, when gauging the direction and strength of the current is very difficult."
In any event, this is an inlet that can develop nice fast currents to practice skills in.

Dan, I am not questioning the methods of diving in strong currents. I am questioning peoples tendency to grossly over-estimate the amplitude of those currents. A claim of scuba diving against an estimate of 5 knots is BS.

As for Lake Worth Inlet, read your own quote. "During conditions of strong northeasterly winds and/or large northeasterly swells, a strong southerly current of 6 knots CAN develop"

I took a glance at the NOAA website for tides and currents, saw a current ratio of 1.3 to 2.3 for the area between the jetties, that's compared to Miami. Took a quick look at Miami, saw appros. 1 to 2 knots speed. Soooo, I wouldn't expect to see much more than 4 knots max between the jetties on any given day, except of course for the above conditions that you stated.

Dan, 1.5 to 2 knots is screaming. I don't believe 4 to 5 knots.

I have some Volo Powers and I think they're OK- not great.

I don't think they're very effective at swimming in a current or in surge, but my Mares Avanti Quattros were quite good at that.

I've also heard that the Cressi Rondine fins (a very stiff blade) is good for currents/surg.

Dan, I am not questioning the methods of diving in strong currents. I am questioning peoples tendency to grossly over-estimate the amplitude of those currents. A claim of scuba diving against an estimate of 5 knots is BS.

As for Lake Worth Inlet, read your own quote. "During conditions of strong northeasterly winds and/or large northeasterly swells, a strong southerly current of 6 knots CAN develop"

I took a glance at the NOAA website for tides and currents, saw a current ratio of 1.3 to 2.3 for the area between the jetties, that's compared to Miami. Took a quick look at Miami, saw appros. 1 to 2 knots speed. Soooo, I wouldn't expect to see much more than 4 knots max between the jetties on any given day, except of course for the above conditions that you stated.

Dan, 1.5 to 2 knots is screaming. I don't believe 4 to 5 knots.
And I was just saying 4 to 5 mph, not knots ...
Regards,
Dan

I love my picasso black team fins (freediving fins). Just a small twitch at the ankles and I'm gliding through the water! weeee!!!.....

yep, they're pretty awesome in current. And they are a deterrent against other divers trying to surprise buttsecks you.

One thing about freediving fins is that you have to be careful not to hit the reef or other divers that mysteriously follow behind you too closely (seriously, what's up with that?). Also they are harder to put on in tight spaces (ie an outrigger boat). Plus travelling with them is a pain in the butt if you don't have bag big enough and if you do have a big enough bag I made the mistake of buying a too big of a bag so it was a pain to travel around with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom