Fins for bad ankles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy her a DPV!

I have a shattered ankle that was rebuilt and then anterior ligament detatched with bone fragments floating..... I know how she feels. I also have to spend anywhere from 4 - 6 hours daily in water between pool sessions and sea dives, teaching classes. Force Fins are amazing. I don't feel any resistance at all and I have no ankle pain whatsoever. Even in the our strong currents, no problems.

Last edited:
Well, ZenDiver's force Fins experience is compelling.

In general, I think a shorter, lighter, softer fin would be better. It would produce less overall stress throughout your lower legs.

One other suggestion I would make is Zeagle's EZ Travel Fins. You can use any type of foot wear from barefoot to boots (or your ankle brace). They are a fairly soft fin, but can power up with them when the need arises.

Zeagle EZ Travel Finz scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express

You can save some money over teh force fins by trying out some APS Mantaray fins. I just purchased a pair and I am dumping my old ScubaPro Jet fins (two sizes) now that I have the Manatarays. They are light weight, give great thrust with little effort and the provided straps are very easy to adjust. APS Mantaray Dive Fins

The down side is that they are often on backorder.

You can save some money over teh force fins by trying out some APS Mantaray fins. I just purchased a pair and I am dumping my old ScubaPro Jet fins (two sizes) now that I have the Manatarays. They are light weight, give great thrust with little effort and the provided straps are very easy to adjust. APS Mantaray Dive Fins

The down side is that they are often on backorder.

That's really interesting... the first time I tried em things out I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...

I could barely move with those things.

SangP

Wait... weren't they called 6 gills or something b4?

My wife recently had ankle surgery and while she is able to walk/run and do most things, her current fins hurt her ankle quite a bit whenever we have to do a lot of kicking. Without trying to start a split fins vs. non-split debate, are there any particular brands that are less straining on the ankles?

Try Force Fin Pro, they're good with foot pain and may help ankle pain as well.

Adam

Before she even considers changing her fins and what model to move to, she should try to work with her current setup, and as someone said above, slow everything down.

Then she should try to work out what movement is difficult/impossible for her (typically with that sort of injury, sideways movement would be pretty painful). That may (very likely) preclude a frog-style kick, at least for the time being.

Then she should try to decide whether relatively many foot movements against minimal reactive pressure is easier or harder than pushing more slowly and more infrequently against a higher reactive force - that the "soft and floppy" or "more rigid" decision. I'm inclined to think she might do better with very soft floppy fins, even though personally I hate them.

Lastly, given that the bones have knitted but she probably has callouses at the numerous joints that were "frozen" during healing, she should try to decide which type of motion is more effective in pushing against those callouses and trying to break them down.

I've never broken an ankle so I can't say I know exactly what she's going through, but I did break my wrist and went through all of this trying to get back into competitive swimming. I found downhill skiing quite therapeutic, as my wrist was constantly being flexed to the limit and slightly beyond, but because of everything else that was going on I didn't notice. What did the most good was when I was knocked over from behind when ice skating, when I fell on the damaged wrist. I felt the callouses give way, to the extent that I thought it had broken again, but it restored a degree of freedom of movement I had thought was gone for ever.

Back
Top Bottom