Fins - Does it really make a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stablgr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, so I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but does fin chioce really make a huge difference?

I mean, apart from competition swimming or diving against the most torrent drift dives, is there much point in spending over the odds for the most technologically advanced pair of fins on the market?

Just curious.

You have two different questions there.

Does fin choice really make a huge difference? YES! But it depends on what you're doing, and what you want your fins FOR. I dive Jets, and last fall, I got in my pool to test some equipment. I was too lazy to put on the tennis shoes that I need to make my jets fit when I'm diving wet, so I threw on a pair of Razors just to get wet. Two kicks into the pool, and I turned around and got out and went back in the house to get the tennis shoes and my Jets. I felt like I didn't have any fins on at all with the Razors. They're very flexible, and don't provide much resistance to the water.

The same with split fins. They're flexible, they don't work your legs as much, but if you're used to something else, they feel awful.

Your second question, about whether it's worth spending megabucks on the latest and greatest, really comes down to what you want to do, and what you like to feel. A lot of people absolutely love the ScubaPro TwinJets, which are very expensive. I dive my (relatively) cheap Jets in preference (and I own the others, too). It's personal preference and what you want from a fin.

Superstar makes a good point. Some people's physiology just makes one fin work better on them than others. I think that's why there are so many vastly different fins out there and so many advocates for each.

I do think quality is another important issue . Some fins just hold up to use, or hold their shape better than others. So back to the original question, yes, fin choice makes a big PERSONAL difference. Try as many different fins as you possibly can. You'll fin one that YOU really like.

Dennis

Jet have the strangest sizing and shape. You would think after all these years they would have fixed the sizing problem.

Yes. Fins do make a difference.

I've tried various types.Some I did not use for more then a single dive, others a few days diving.

The rigidity and shape of the blade, the shape of the boot pocket, the lenght or width of the blade, as well as the weight of the fin, will make a difference to your efficency and comfort.
I too got out of the water to change back to my own fins.

I have been using cressi frogs for the last 8 years. I want to change them but I still have to find a pair as comfortable and efficeint. But then that's a personal choice.

Fins ARE like shoes.The fit and comfort weight design do make a differenc.

stablgr:
Ok, so I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but does fin chioce really make a huge difference?

Yes.

stablgr:
I mean, apart from competition swimming or diving against the most torrent drift dives, is there much point in spending over the odds for the most technologically advanced pair of fins on the market?

Just curious.

The best fins available, IMO, are some of the least expensive and last almost forever. I recommend Jet Fins.

I've come to believe that it is all about kicking style and leg strength. You gotta match the fin to the person. There is no "best" fin for everyone IMO, and often the "latest and greatest" is simply a marketing ploy.

Suggest that you research the doctoral disserataion of Doctor Tony Christensen in the UCLA files.

Yes, size, weight, height, age, activity and experience all make a difference.

Fin size, width and lenght are also factors for propulsion or station keeping.

There is no universal fin, but there are several that approach being univeral such as the SCUBA Pro Jet Fin

SDM

Tonio Anastasi:
Fins ARE like shoes.The fit and comfort weight design do make a differenc.

Exactly. For tropical recreational diving, you should first consider buying full-foot fins instead of the more common open-heel design. That is because you will get a tighter fit around the foot, giving you increased manoeuverability. I have a pair of open-heel fins, but wear them only if I have no option (because of the need to wear booties).

Then, consider the strength of your leg muscles and and try to match the fin to that. The stronger the legs, the larger the fin you can use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom