Fins - Does it really make a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrecks, caves, technical diving, diving where precision maneuvering is critical, Jets or another paddle fin (but usually Jets) will be among the best for MOST people. (I LOVE my Jets for cold socal drysuit diving!)

Easy reef swims in warm water with thin or no wetsuit, it's hard to beat a pair of splits (I love my Apollo Bio Fin XTs!). People with bad knees and/or low leg strength also seem to benefit from the particular force vector used by splits.

Everything else is just variation on a theme.

Don Janni:
Scubapro's latest and greatest is their updated "Twin Jet" split fins. They still sell the old paddle style Jet's but it looks like all the R&D is going into splits.
Actually, their latest are the JetFin Revo's, an updated version of the old Jetfin. Too bad it's only available in the far east.

jetfin_revo.jpg

The biggest difference, IMO, is that the bottom of the foot pocket extends further toward the heel than on the old style. The old style jets have the foot pocket ending at about the end of my arch, making it hard to get much force behind a kick. Because the new style extend further, I kick more with my leg and less with my foot.

Halthron:
Actually, their latest are the JetFin Revo's, an updated version of the old Jetfin. Too bad it's only available in the far east.
Not anymore. The latest is the Twin Jet Max. Not even up on their website yet, but there is a discussion here and an article at http://www.sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=48120.

CompuDude:
Easy reef swims in warm water with thin or no wetsuit, it's hard to beat a pair of splits (I love my Apollo Bio Fin XTs!). People with bad knees and/or low leg strength also seem to benefit from the particular force vector used by splits.

I totally agree with this comment. I have terribly bad knees and had used paddle fins for 10 years. Then I got to use a pair of Atomic Splits at DiveQuest... and I haven't looked back! The split fins made such a huge difference on my knees that I had to buy a pair! My mom and dad are also considering a pair... I told mom she could borrow mine for one of her vacations to give them a good try. Always better to try before you buy. :wink:

Halthron:

jetfin_revo.jpg

The biggest difference, IMO, is that the bottom of the foot pocket extends further toward the heel than on the old style. The old style jets have the foot pocket ending at about the end of my arch, making it hard to get much force behind a kick. Because the new style extend further, I kick more with my leg and less with my foot.

Halthron, are the Revos also made of rubber like the old jets? If you have a chance, please let me know the length, width and weight of the them (I assume you have size "great") so I can compare to my XL jets.

Hmm... I ought to ask J. if they have the Revos in Japan... I might be able to offer her a suggestion of something to buy for me. :wink:

They're made for the Japanese market, which is where I bought mine, but I've also seen some in Hong Kong.

Floater, I can get you dimensions easily but accurate weight may take a bit. They're made of rubber but it's a different rubber than the old style.

Back
Top Bottom