Fins Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ya one of the dive shops here has a couple different pairs of rental fins. and i asked if i could just try a pair if they dont rent them. they said that i have to buy them, try them, bring them back without a scratch on them and then i can get my money back. i might try this, and hope to God they dont get a scratch on them. lol.

i did do some reading, and i couldnt find a definitive answer. some ppl say splits, others say blades. so i was hoping someone could narrow it down a bit more.

That my friend is as good as it is going to get. If you're seeking a definitive answer, you'd be better off posting this in the decostop forum. They're much more receptive and easier there.

See if you LDS will let you try them in the pool (assuming they have a pool attached to the dive shop). Mine will let me try stuff in the pool (never really took advantage of the offer as I knew what I wanted out of the gate). You may have to buy it first, but there is very little chance of scratching them on one trip to the pool that's 25 steps away.

1. I have bought two computers, a BC, and three regs at LP - NEVER a problem. I recommend them highly;

2. I am not a fan of split fins as then can make more advanced moves like the helicopter pivot more difficult. Personally, my Mares fins are fine; and

3. If you haven't tried spring straps with fins, you really should - you will never go back.

right now i am using the Aqualung Rocket Fins (what the navy uses, a friend of mine, who is in the navy, let me have his pair).

There is a reason he gave them to you. The "Navy" doesn't sponsor any fins, all of the fins that they Navy uses are 100% by the choice of the diver wearing them. They don't even issue fins anymore, at the dive school they use a combination of fins, mostly Jets and Rockets that are all many many years old. Seals commonly use Force Fins, MDSU divers use everything under sun.

Split fins, although very popular, don’t really produce any propulsion. Look for a good mid-range fin with a flexible center core like the TUSA Imprex.

then how is it splits in nearly every test done have been the fastest fins. can't be done unless they produce thrust. The reason that splits end up failing in the long run is the extremely high cadence they require to attain that speed.

If you can spare an extra $50 I would suggest Force Fins. I tried a lot of fins before getting a pair of force fins and you would have a hard time getting me to dive anything else. They are more expensive the other fins however; you get what you pay. I have had my force fins for about 5 years now and expect they will last another 10+. They are very durable and can take a licking and keep on kicking.

Best of luck finding a fin you enjoy.

S

Probably the best recommendation that you are going to find, learn to use a proper fin before those "other" fins teach you bad habits. BTW- I have ForceFins that are 12+ years old and have 1000+ dives and 2.5 years of setting in the Hawaiian sun, They are still as good today as the day I got them. I haven't found anything more comfortable or efficient.

The blade vs split fin debate will continue to rage, and it's unlikely a resolution will ever be forthcoming. The choice is personal and depends on multiple factors, from the type of diving you practice (and see yourself doing in the future, as your diving education progresses) to your budget. Truly, the only way to make a decision is to try, try, try. I've found that folk I encounter while diving absolutely love talking about their gear, and (if size permits) are often happy to let you try items like fins and so on.

The Aqualung Rockets are terrific fins, but like all "old school" paddle fins like Jets, Turtles, Slipstreams, and the like, they perform best when utilizing alternative kicking styles like the frog kick, back kick, and helicopter kick. Even for someone in decent shape, it takes a fair bit of leg power to flutter kick using old school fins, so I'm not surprised to hear you're feeling a bit of pain! Old school fins are also great for pushing a drysuit-clad diver laden with heavy lanks and other equipment through the water.

Trialing equipment and seeing what works best for you is one of the funner aspects of diving. Cast your net wide, and enjoy.

Even for someone in decent shape, it takes a fair bit of leg power to flutter kick using old school fins, so I'm not surprised to hear you're feeling a bit of pain!

ya, i have been doing 500 meters of just flutter kicking and am working my way to a 1500 (i want to prove to a guy that i could do a 1500 meter in under 32 minutes) so far im down to a 6:45 500m kick. :D i was a state swimmer in high school, so im in decent shape now, 2 years later. lol.

im going to go talk to the dive shops after i get off work and see what they say about me just trying them out. thanks for the input vinegar and others!

Yes, there's been plenty of discussion here and elsewhere about what the fastest fin is. Interesting, therefore, that the type of fin preferred by those who compete in finswimming races is a monofin, which nobody has yet suggested.

I'm very wary of "scientific tests" to determine the "best" fin. Not because I'm against scientific experimentation, far from it, but because the testers would have a really hard job controlling all the variables, and if you can't control all the variables, you won't get a credible result and people will be sceptical about whatever hypotheses you are trying to prove.

From my viewpoint, fins are worn for extra power, manoeuvrability or endurance, or a combination of the three. In my fifty years' experience as a snorkeller, very few fins satisfy all three criteria, which have a degree of subjectivity and undefinability about them anyway.

What's needed in fins is the ability of said fins to sit comfortably on your feet and to match your swimming style. This is a highly personal problem-solving process and it can't be rushed by following other people's recommendations about brands and models. Finding the perfect pair whose foot pockets fit your feet precisely - not just lengthwise, but widthwise and heightwise too, is something of an odyssey in itself, even before you begin selecting fins for blade stiffness.

For what it's worth, I prefer snorkelling with old-fashioned rubber full-foot fins. They suited me perfectly when I started snorkelling half a century ago and they still suit me perfectly now. Contrary to popular belief, I wear my full-foots with booties, never barefoot, and they still fit. Would I recommend them to you or to anybody else? No, because I'm me and you're you. Your priorities, physique, swimming style etc are likely to be different. We live in a diverse world and the world is better for it. Dare to be different!

Do try a variety of fins before you select a pair. Resist any sales pitch pushing you in the direction of one manufacturer or even one fin type. Just because a majority of people around you have opted for one brand and kind of fins doesn't mean that they are also right for you. You wouldn't let anybody else pick out your clothing for you, so try out several different designs and only settle on your purchase when you're happy, even if your choice makes somebody else unhappy because you've haven't made the same choice as them.

ya, i have been doing 500 meters of just flutter kicking and am working my way to a 1500 (i want to prove to a guy that i could do a 1500 meter in under 32 minutes) so far im down to a 6:45 500m kick.

Keep in mind, that the best fin for the endeavor you cite above is quite possibly (probably?) not the best fin for scuba diving, where flat-out speed over distance is unimportant.

actually, a fin that can produce the large amount of thrust for that endurance is probably a reasonably good fin for scuba. maybe not the best, but reasonably good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom