Fins and manoeuvrability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now we have an answer. They are just fins that are molded with a compound like most others, the monkey work is done by hand, and sales do not warrant or support mass production.
Well, there's 2 more things actually:
  • the originals' shape that isn't really suitable for any fancy kicks and
  • the foot strap that I wish other fin manufacturers used instead of the one size fits nobody well "generous foot pocket".

So in reality there's only one model you'd actually want and to some unknown extent their goodness is due to the fact they simply fit better, and not because they're hand-crafted out of congealed tears of free range virgin swedish divemistresses.

Last edited:
Do you have a reading comprehension problem????

They are hand poured, hand trimmed, hand polished and hand assembled - is this not hand made??

And if you had any knowledge of how most current fins are made - they are mostly injection molded plastic with, in some cases, some rubber. Probably less than $2 in material cost. Now there are a few fins out there that are molded all rubber - but they are normally higher priced (i.e. Bio Fins).

You just earned a spot on my ignore list!!!! So forget any future responses!!!

Very poor manners you have. I thought I already had earned a spot on your ignore list when you called me a troll. You seem flustered. When someone says hand made I assumed hand crafted like a fine watch or jewelry. Not like a coffee table or dresser from IKEA like this appears to be.

1) Break Fin from mold (Unskilled labor job)
2) Trim flash from molded product (Unskilled Labor Job)
3) Polish (If you say so, but another unskilled labor job)
4) Attach straps (Unskilled labor job)
5) Sell to TN Traveler for $700.00 (Skilled Snake Oil Salesman Job or possibly unskilled in this particular instance)

By the way my Hollis F1's are all rubber.

I have to chuckle at all the comparisons to JetFins, and all their clones. In my view, they are the worst-kicking, most uncomfortable, hardest to use fins ever made. I've had maybe 4 different pairs/brands at different times, and have sold them all just to get rid of them. So when somebody says their XYZ fins is better than a JetFin, that hardly surprises me! Mind you, I'm short, and spend as little time as possible in a dry suit, so that affects what kind of fin suits me. Right now I'm using DiveRite fins and really like them; they work for me.....flutter, frog, back, helicopter, holding position for photography, strong currents, you name it.

I have to chuckle at all the comparisons to JetFins, and all their clones. In my view, they are the worst-kicking, most uncomfortable, hardest to use fins ever made. I've had maybe 4 different pairs/brands at different times, and have sold them all just to get rid of them. So when somebody says their XYZ fins is better than a JetFin, that hardly surprises me! Mind you, I'm short, and spend as little time as possible in a dry suit, so that affects what kind of fin suits me. Right now I'm using DiveRite fins and really like them; they work for me.....flutter, frog, back, helicopter, holding position for photography, strong currents, you name it.

Why would you buy 4 different pairs if they didnt suit you? DiveRite's are popular fins. Jets and such are too stiff for a lot of folks.

Well, there's 2 more things actually:
  • the originals' shape that isn't really suitable for any fancy kicks and
  • the foot strap that I wish other fin manufacturers used instead of the one size fits nobody well "generous foot pocket".

So in reality there's only one model you'd actually want and to some unknown extent their goodness is due to the fact they simply fit better, and not because they're hand-crafted out of congealed tears of free range virgin swedish divemistresses.

If if you are looking for a fin for technical diving, there would be three FF models to consider: Excellerating FFs, Extra FFs or Hockey FFs. You can get the first 2 in Pro material for half the price of the same fins in Tan Delta material. The Hockey's were only made in a special high grade of urethane and sold for $500

Anyone who has used the original style will tell you they are primarily for flutter kicks (and reverse kicks). They not any good at frog kicks.

Why would you buy 4 different pairs if they didnt suit you? DiveRite's are popular fins. Jets and such are too stiff for a lot of folks.
Good question. In retrospect I've wondered the same thing. Over the years my kick has changed (mostly frog now) and my diving has changed (was heavy technical for a while, now reefs and caves). I kept thinking they had such good press, maybe I was missing something.

I find it interesting that in Santa Barbara where FF has its home you almost never see these fins. If that is due to poor marketing or having no competitive advantge in the local diving conditions is not clear.

I really don't get the point arguing about tan delta or whatever the material is called as it is unobtainium.

To me I think the real issue is that with the majority of scuba fins today, the technology is poor...and it could be MUCH BETTER, if divers actually became interested in the performance differences between fins...which ones were better.
Unfortunately, the way fins rank for the majority of divers today, is a combination of :
  • Dive Shop recommended ( often based on profit margin or inventory purchase needs for dealership of a brand)
  • Print rag recommended ( this being based on who spends the most on advertising)
  • Or the ubiquitous , " I bought these, so I am absolutely sure they must be the BEST...otherwise, I would never have bought them".....which often goes along with "no, I don't need to try other fins, I am very happy with the ones I have". Too many divers are like this!!!!
What we need is Divers demanding demo's as in skis for snow skiing. Good shops SHOULD CARRY DEMO FINS. It think it is BS that this industry is so brainwashed that everyone thinks that speed and performance in fins is irrelevant, or...that if a fin allows fast speed, that it can't be precise or good for all kicks....That just assumes the old and tired bad technology of the last 80 years.

My "call to action"..... Tell your Dive shop you think they should have demo fins for each brand/model they carry!
This needs to start at the level of divers, work up to shops, where it can be "driven" to the manufacturers.

I find it interesting that in Santa Barbara where FF has its home you almost never see these fins. If that is due to poor marketing or having no competitive advantge in the local diving conditions is not clear.

I really don't get the point arguing about tan delta or whatever the material is called as it is unobtainium.

I have never seen anyone wearing them.

Back
Top Bottom