Fins altered my feet....anyone else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My fins altered my feet over the years I now have a knot like mass on the top of each foot that sort of feels cartilage like and feels a little crunchy when I push on it ...does anyone know what im talking about, doea this have a name?

May want to post on Diving Medicine forum.

I have heard of parasites that can cause this type of symptom.:)

It's called "Chunky Cartilage Knots" :D

I would also suggest posting in medical forum. It does sound very strange , could be tissue damage due to pressure. Sometimes the damaged tissue develops a "protective" shell/sack around the effected area. I had something similar removed from the side of my knee. Not saying it's the same but could be.

Surfer's knots are a cutaneous condition caused by chronic pressure over bony prominences leading to thick fibrotic nodules on knees, knuckles, feet, often seen with on those who surf. I have these on both knees and on top of my feet where they would rub on my surfboard. The one on my left knee protrudes about an inch (there is also some calcification), but the one on my right knee was removed when I had a reconstruction. The knots will recede over time if the pressure ceases.

One of my colleagues here has this on the top of one foot exactly where his fin pocket hits. He cut out a bit of old wetsuit into a donut shape (like a corn pad) and glued it to his bootie. That seems to have helped him since the mass is slowly resolving.

I would contact DAN (Divers Alert Network) they will be able to help you

Yes, I have a similar thing on two of my toes where they contact the fins. Doesn't bother me and I don't fuss about it.

I got one on my one toe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom