Fins Again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csevel

Registered
Reaction score
Since I last posted, I've done some homework. It's pretty obvious that reviews and opinions of people coincide with the type of diving they do and each person's comfort, leg & ankle strength etc. I understand that it's a personal choice that comes down to basically a split-fin or a paddle fin. So with all this in mind, I'd like to narrow down MY criteria so that I can get a better consensus from all of you experts of what to purchase here in the near future. As I said...newbie diver...diving maybe once or twice a year...only tropical waters..Coz (I know - drift diving)..Key West...maybe Costa Rica. I'm 5'4" 125# and a strong swimmer & legs (lifeguard for 5 years) Women's shoe size 8. Don't want a fin that's too long or heavy. Or one that's too stiff. Or one that I'll cross kick. Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

csevel......

This isn't a expert advice but a experienced advice. My wife is the same build and did the whole life guard LGT, WSI thing for over ten yrs. She dives the US Divers Blades ($100) and likes it. Its not too stiff but yet it gives pretty good driving force when needed. Hope this helps.

Aardal
:cool:

Csevel-
I am about your size, and I have had a pair of obnoxiously pink Blades for a while-- think what you want, but they never were confused with other people's gear. I had heard that they weren't good for women (i.e., too long, too stiff), but I never found that to be the case. I have retired them now for tropical use because they don't fit well over my current colder water booties which have a more substantial sole. I miss them! See if your local dive shop will let you try out a few pairs, at least in the pool.

I have always been a Mares fan. While the Quattros seem to be too long & heavy for me, the Plana Avantis always did the trick. However, about 4 months ago I bought a pair of Dacor Tigers (same company now) and find them even better than the Plana Avantis: lots of thrust with minimum effort, plus they do well with a variety of kicks (which the split fins DON'T).

BTW, I'm about the same size as you. :)

Just my $0.0'2 worth,

~SubMariner~

Fins seem to be a very emotional topic...I have no idea why...

At any rate, my advice has always been to make certain that they are comfortable. Diving with fins that are too tight is like walking in shoes that are too tight. Diving with fins that are too loose will lead to inefficient "swimming" and getting tired prematurely.

We have used Mares Quattros and loved them. They are a little stiff and we found that, after not diving for several months, we would tend to get foot cramps on our first dives on a trip. Other than that, they were great.

However, over two years ago we switched to split fins--Appollos--and have loved them. Our Quattros have gathered dust since that time--honorable dust, but dust, none-the-less. We do not race, do technical diving, or anything too exotic. We are rec divers and they seem to fit the bill for that purpose.

A real bonus has been that we never seem to get foot cramps anymore...no matter how long we lay off diving...

My advice, again: try any fins you want in a pool at minimum. If you can try them on a dive, all the better.

Joewr...

Cseval,
I have some experience that can add to the previous posts.
I have, and had used a pair of US divers "Blades" for about 6 years. They are great. When I got them, the result was a significant reducton in air consumption over my previous fins.
My only "problem" was that the morning after a 4 dive day, my thighs were dead, as I tried to do the next days 4 dives.

This year, I got a pair of the black ScubaPro twin jets. After 3 trips, and 20 "4 dive days", I can say that the legs feel significantly better.However, there was no additional significant reduction in air consumption.
Given the condition of your legs, from lifeguarding, the split fins may not have a big advantage for you. If that level of strength and conditioning continue, I might suggest the Blades, due to the $$ factor. However, if you are going to do more dives, thin i'd go with the Twin Jets.

As many have said, it is a matter of personal opinion. If you can, rent or borrow a pair of each type, then decide based on your own experiences.
Please let us know what you decide.
good luck,
Miked

My 18.4 centavos on Fins is for me it depends on the dive as to which ones I use.

In open blue water where the chance of creating a silt out is negligeable, I use my TUSA Xpert Zooms (splits) which work great for getting me about the area. With these, I have noticed reduced air comsumption and reduced leg fatigue

In silty environments where I am really barely poking along or wish to not kick up the silt, I use some old ScubaPro Jet fins that I am learning the different kick styles with.

The reason for the switch is that I (and my buddies) have noticed that when I use my splits, the vortex of water I create on a downward kick (even a simple ankle kick) will travel downward a pretty good distance, kicking up silt in a sort of "invisible footprint" like action. And while others will say that you can do the varied kick styles with splits, I've yet to perfect it, so I just fall back on a known "tool" in my toolbox (gear bag).

But again, choice of fins is as personal as choice of mask or regulator. But I do agree that out of all the models that are out there, it does boil down to less than 10 models that really cut the mustard and will increase your diving pleasure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom