Finger spool repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a link to an inexpensive aluminum spool from Piranha Dive MFG....I would buy one but I didn't look at their website until after I placed a recent order with DGX that included an OMS spool. My other spool was getting hung up on my drygloves when launching a DSMB and was hoping the depressions on either side of the OMS spool would work better than finger holes....then I was that the Piranha ones have a spinner thingy in the center...wish I had seen that before placing the order:

New! 100 Foot Compact Flat Line Finger Spool w/ Internal Spinner / High Viz Orange line / Green Body , Piranha Dive Shop |

-Z

aluminum should not corrode significantly, even with exposure to salt water....itll tarnish, but you wont get the deep cancerous rust like you get with steel, at least not within the usable lifetime of the spool.

ive got plenty of uncoated aluminum dive items that are holding up just fine with just some fresh water rinsing.

you can also contact an anodizing house, tell them you dont care about color and just need a protection, and see if they can cut you a deal and toss it in with their next batch.

Debur, use. Your good deal wasn't so good since the quality isn't that good. Not worth trying to recoat. You will probably have more into your discount spools than if you just got good ones to start with.

aluminum should not corrode significantly, even with exposure to salt water....itll tarnish, but you wont get the deep cancerous rust like you get with steel, at least not within the usable lifetime of the spool.

What is the "usable lifetime" of a spool used for diving?

Do you wear your spools out?

-Z

Here is a link to an inexpensive aluminum spool from Piranha Dive MFG....I would buy one but I didn't look at their website until after I placed a recent order with DGX that included an OMS spool. My other spool was getting hung up on my drygloves when launching a DSMB and was hoping the depressions on either side of the OMS spool would work better than finger holes....then I was that the Piranha ones have a spinner thingy in the center...wish I had seen that before placing the order:

New! 100 Foot Compact Flat Line Finger Spool w/ Internal Spinner / High Viz Orange line / Green Body , Piranha Dive Shop |

-Z
Does look nice. Might pick it up down the road. I appreciate pointing me to a good source for other gear too though.

ive got plenty of uncoated aluminum dive items that are holding up just fine with just some fresh water rinsing.

you can also contact an anodizing house, tell them you dont care about color and just need a protection, and see if they can cut you a deal and toss it in with their next batch.
I’m an aircraft mechanic... aluminum corrodes like you wouldn’t believe. Might be why I’m being anal about this. Old habits.

I’m an aircraft mechanic... aluminum corrodes like you wouldn’t believe. Might be why I’m being anal about this. Old habits.

with extended exposure to salt water it can......but if you rinse it, its usually just fine...

were also not talking about structural or load bearing equipment here....a tiny amount of surface corrosion on a spool isnt going to kill anyone.

fwiw, my dive light handle is raw uncoated 6061.....has seen salt water with regular rinsing and is doing just fine.
59zz8zp.jpg

Reactions: Zef
What is the "usable lifetime" of a spool used for diving?

Do you wear your spools out?

-Z
no.....thats the point.....

youll either lose it, buy a new one or retire from diving long before its likely to become an issue.

Reactions: Zef
I agree with @M-Cameron.

I would clean up the sharp edges with a dremel tool and not worry about it corroding.

There is no reason to baby a spool and one should expect that it will get scratched up in transport, storage, and while dangling with any other gear while clipped to your harness/BC.

If it does develop a problem, spools are relatively inexpensive.

To me the major decision point is whether it is worth the time to clean up your current spool or just purchase another that does not have the problem yours does. I would bet there is a young diver out there that has much more time to futs around with cleaning up a spool than you (unless you are one of those young divers) who could put it to good use, while you purchase one ready to use.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom